Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samuel_brierley
Creator
Creator

connecting Qlikview to a text file

Hi all,

first of all thanks for any help on this, its very much appreciated.

what do I have?

I have a piece of software that generates numbers every 10 seconds (speed, length, flow.....that kind of thing)

these numbers are then pulled into a spreadsheet where they are put in the correct cells.

the numbers are then added to a text file for archiving.

what do I want?

I would like qlikview to 'connect' to the text file and everytime that changes qlikview will update.

the intention:

the idea behind this is for a demo, people can make changes in the software that and can see the effect that change has had on the model.

hope that makes sense and more importantly is possible (preferably easy) to accomplish.

thanks

2 Replies
alexandros17
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Use a trigger from Windows that updates Qlik documetn every ten seconds:

you neea a file (.cmd) with a script like this:

"C:\Program Files\QlikView\Qv.exe" /r "E:\QlikSource\Sales\myDoc.qvw" >> E:\ScheduledTask\myDoc.log

and the Windows scheduler that call the file every 10 sec.

Obviously if you have Publisher you can schedule the document as you prefer

Let me know

datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Hi Samuel,

well, that's actually quite easy.

You can load text files into QlikView using the "From Document" wizard (the third  button from the top in the script_editor). There you can make any changes you need to so that your file can be properly read, but the wizard can identify quite a lot.

As to the connection between QlikView and your file - you cannot connect them in the sense that you mean, but if you have QlikViewServer, you can set that app to reload continuously - so it will turn around endlessly and as soon as it has finished reloading, it will reload again ...

If you do not have the QlikViewServer, it is a bit more difficult - doable certainly, but I have no experience to offer there.

HTH