Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dhasharadh
Creator III
Creator III

how to automate the process of moving the old qvds into another drive ??

Hi All,

we have less storage space in out current production as some new qlik apps deployed this year, now with all that apps and their respective qvds prod server is drowing and just 5 % storage is left..

we identified the data retention of the each application and the required qvds to each app.

ex: one app data retention is last 13 months, so every month new month data will come as old month is not used as a source.

so we can move that old month qvd into a diff storage space where we have enough to keep all these historical Qvds.

Now i want to automate this process through a qlik app...is it possible to move the qvds to a different location automatically using a qlik app, as we have lot of applications we dont want to do this manually every month..

Any help on the above is much appreciated... Thank you.

4 Replies
IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Yes, it is possible. You need to write a simple batch script which moves files from one location to another. You can still run this from QlikView using the EXECUTE command. You can have all the business logic to determine which files to keep and which ones to move in Qlik Script. And based the file names, you move the relevant files using the EXECUTE command. EXECUTE command allows you run external scripts. So, you need to write the batch script and store in .bat file format, which you run using the EXECUTE statement. Also, I recommend logging the file movement, so have audit log of what is moved when.

All the best!

Cheers,

DV

kfoudhaily
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hello,

Managing data retention using  a batch file is very useful, but there are some inconveniences sch as having to manage the scripting it self plus the fact that you will have to set your server and desktop to run external programs, it tool me quit a while to figure it out, edit the parameter AllowExecuteCommand=1

in the following file: "C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\QlikTech\QlikViewBatch\Settings.ini"

The best way to manage data retention should be in the script it self, so QVDs should be updated automatically and containing only the useful data:

LOAD  xxx

FROM yyy

Where Date >= 'value';

hope this is helpfull.

regards,

QlikView Qlik Sense consultant
dhasharadh
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks DV for the reply,

it would be really helpful if you share such sample app or script if you have.

tamilarasu
Champion
Champion

Hi Dhasharadh,

I have attached a sample script in the below thread. You can modify the if statement as per your need. Good luck.

https://qliktech.hosted.jivesoftware.com/thread/284457#1399191