Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

how to control file access in NTFS method

Hi all,

i'm cofused about the difference between the two authorization methods : NTFS and DMS.

what i know is that they both contol file access. i have ever used DMS, but don't know how to control file access under NTFS method.

can anybody help me ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Zhou,

You can set document call's (QMC) on the documents who can open them.

open[QMC, Documents, User Documents, <QVW file>, Document Cal's]

so you can assign users.

This users must be have rights on the file location: example:

Right click on the file [Test.qvw] locally on the file [ Properties, Security]

Then you can edit the user rights to open the file,

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Zhou,

I found something for you maybe you can use this for information.

--

NTFS vs. DMS

QlikView Server can use the NTFS privileges of the Windows file system to store authorization information. When in NTFS authorization mode, QlikView Server controls access to a given QlikView document by determining if the authenticated user has NTFS privileges to the underlying QlikView document file (.qvw). This is based on the operating system privileges and Windows NTFS is used for the ACL. The privileges of the authenticated user are configured by a server administrator using standard Windows Explorer functionality via directory properties options.

As an alternative to Windows NTFS, QlikView can use its own ACL, DMS. Unlike NTFS, this allows non-Windows users and groups to be authorized to access applications and data. DMS integrates fully with the existing Directory Service Provider (for example, Active Directory, other LDAP) where Group Membership has been recorded – this is a mechanism by which QlikView Server can re-use existing enterprise accounts and group structures. The permitted users or groups are recorded in a meta file that resides next to the QlikView document, and it is managed using QMC.

NTFS is the default document authorization model, suitable when all users and groups are identified in Active Directory or locally on the QlikView Server host. The NTFS permissions may be inherited from the directory that the QlikView documents are in, or may be assigned using QlikView Publisher distribution tasks.

DMS is required when the authenticated user identity is not a Windows user account. The DMS permissions are explicitly assigned using QMC, or may be assigned using QlikView Publisher distribution tasks.

--

Not applicable
Author

Thank you Richard, it's helpful.

could you tell me how should i do in NTFS mode if i want user A to see the document Sales report.qvw?

what should i do in QMC ?

Thanks again.

zhou

Not applicable
Author

Hi Zhou,

You can change the permissions settings on the followings steps.

go to [QMC, System, Setup, Qlikview Servers, <Your Qlikview Server> , Security]

Then by authentication you can change the permissions. to NTFS.

Warning: Then can only the domain users use this documents,

When you have custom users then can't use the files.

you can set the rights on the specific .QVW in your local map. example: c:Qlikview\Accespoint\ test.qvw

can also set document call's (QMC) on the documents who can open them.

Good luck please let me know when you have a question.

Not applicable
Author

Richard, thanks for your timely response. two more question :

1. how to set the rights for the specific .qvw file (e.g. test.qvw) in my local map?

2. as you said that i can also do this in QMC. how?

thank you again

zhou

Not applicable
Author

Zhou,

You can set document call's (QMC) on the documents who can open them.

open[QMC, Documents, User Documents, <QVW file>, Document Cal's]

so you can assign users.

This users must be have rights on the file location: example:

Right click on the file [Test.qvw] locally on the file [ Properties, Security]

Then you can edit the user rights to open the file,

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your help. I did as you say and successed. Thanks.