cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

how to use variables to automate load process

Hi Experts!

I have file received every month contains all the procedures done in the hospital in the past 3 years. And every month I use this file to create another file which sums up the total number of patients and procedures  by hospital id and each month I have to manually add in the new month, and concatenate load the previous month. below is a part of the script. DOS stands for Date of Service.

Any suggestions how can I automate this process, so the script can add the new month every time running it?

Thanks!

Let x = Timestamp(Now(),'YYYYMMDD');

LOAD

Hopstial_ID,   

count(distinct Person_ID) as patients_count,

count(PVL_VisitID) as procedure_count,

'03/31/2017' as post_period

FROM

(txt, utf8, embedded labels, delimiter is '\t', msq) where DOS>='4/1/2016' and DOS<='03/31/2017' group by Hopstial_ID;

Concatenate

LOAD

Hopstial_ID,   

'02/28/2017' as post_period

FROM

(txt, utf8, embedded labels, delimiter is '\t', msq) where DOS>='3/1/2016' and DOS<='02/28/2017' group by Hopstial_ID;

Concatenate

LOAD

Hopstial_ID,   

'01/31/2017' as post_period

FROM

(txt, utf8, embedded labels, delimiter is '\t', msq) where DOS>='2/1/2016' and DOS<='01/31/2017' group by Hopstial_ID;

2 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Ze,

your logic is rather easy to implement. While I can't spend all the time to write the whole script for you, I can give you some pointers.

You need to implement a FOR loop, iterate the loop by a desired number of months and calculate your desired Start and End dates for the load statement. Something like this:

vLastMonthEnd = MonthStart(Today()) - 1;   // The date of the previous month end

FOR i = 1 to 12 // loading 12 snapshots, changes as needed

let vEnd = Date(AddMonths(vLastMonthEnd, -i));   // Each step goes 1 month back

let vStart = Date(AddMonths(vEnd, -12) + 1);               // Start Date =End Date - 12 months + 1 day.

MyTable:

LOAD

Hopstial_ID,  

'$(vEnd)' as post_period

FROM

(txt, utf8, embedded labels, delimiter is '\t', msq)

where DOS>='$(vStart)' and DOS<='$(vEnd)'

group by Hopstial_ID;

NEXT

This is pretty close to what you need. You might just need to polish some rough edges.

We teach these advanced scripting techniques at the Masters Summit for Qlik. Please visit our site and determine if our agenda is a good fit for you.

Cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

Upgrade your Qlik Skills with my book QlikView Your Business: An Expert Guide to Business Discovery with QlikView and Qlik Sense

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

This is perfect~

Thank you!