Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

line chart no dimensions

I have created a bar chart with 20 expressions and no dimensions. These expressions calculated the current age of people in a specified category's and the future when by using a slider. So you can see what the number of each category is about eg 10 years.

It works correctly.

Now I want to convert the bar chart into a line chart and but I dont receive the expected result. No line visible only numbers below each other.

Does anybody know if and how to solve this ?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
whiteline
Master II
Master II

Please, mark the correct answer to complete the topic, so that other people could easely read it.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Bar chart is for comparision and can be done by more than any no.of metrics with or without a dimension. Line chart is for trending which suggest how a metric(s) move over time (usuall time is the dimension but not necessarily). Hence the behaviour, in your case is expected. In line chart one expression will only have one line unlike bar graph. Propably if you want to share the intended interpertation of the graph alternatives can be suggested in this forum.

Kiran.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Kiran,

Below you find my current chart.

example.bmp

Below the situation when counting 10 years at the current age.

example 2.bmp

I am not satisfied about the layout. There is so much to see and I dont think it's really clear. So thats why I wanted to use a line chart.

Do you know if it is possible that starting at 0 only the current bars shown and adding years the new situation appears ?

Or when you have others ideas......:)

Nancy

Not applicable
Author

Yes, we can hide expressions based on a condition. If you are using QV 11 you can add a condition to expression and enable if its so.

In this case i think we can manage with one expression by adding a dimension (i guess each expression is same except for some minute difference). Create an inline load with values as in the slider and appropiate discription. Make expression such that the values computed based on the dimensional value and limit the number of visible rows to variable number.

Regards,

Kiran.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Kiran and sorry for disturbing again.

I am using QV 10 since 6 weeks so not really experienced.

Can you give me more details how to solve ?

You are right the expressions are rather equal.

eg current 16-24

=sum(if(( age(MakeDate(Year(Now(1)), 12,31),Medewerker.DATEOFBIRTH)) <=24,           Medewerker.Headcount))

future 16-24

=sum(if(( age(MakeDate(Year(Now(1)), 12,31),Medewerker.DATEOFBIRTH)+vAddToLeeftijd) <=24,

Medewerker.Headcount))

etc for the other catagorys

Thanks

Not applicable
Author

Can you share a sample of your application?

Kiran.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I created a new one just as example.

Thanks you so much for helping, would really be great if you can solve the problem !!

whiteline
Master II
Master II

To use line chart you shoud convert your calculation model into something like this:

Try to create chart with

Dimension =class(age(MakeDate(Year(Now(1)), 12,31),Medewerker.GEBOORTEDATUM), 5)

and

Expression =sum(Medewerker.Headcount)

But there is a problem. Your goal is to overlap actually two different dimensions (one with offset) of data Medewerker.Headcount.

upd:

Next step.

Complex Solution

To merge that dimensions dynamicly let field "Expression":

LOAD * INLINE [

Expression

Current

Future

];

Change the dimension formula:

=class(age(MakeDate(Year(Now(1)), 12,31),Medewerker.GEBOORTEDATUM) + if(Expression='Future', vAddToLeeftijd, 0), 5, 'x', 0)

Add the field "Expression" as dimension (lower than previous one).

That's all. You have one data set Medewerker.Headcount over two dynamic dimensions.

To make it better you can use different line colors according to "Expression" field value.

Easy solution

If the offset of movement always equals to the dimension step (5 years in my example) you can just add expression for "Future"

=above(sum(Medewerker.Headcount), offset)

Not applicable
Author

thanks are trying already but fear I am not able to solve this.

whiteline
Master II
Master II

Check. I've updated it.

There are two possible solutions.