Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

pass a variable from Access point

On the QlikView Desktop client, I am able create a variable and pass its values from Input Box to Connection String.

I am able to reload and successfully display the new data in "QlikView Desktop" client.

So, i went ahead and moved my QVW to the 'QlikView Server'.

We dont have qlikview publisher.

Now, when I enter a new varaible value at 'Access Point' into List Box and Reload using 'QlikView Server' or using a Reload button on QlikView document at Access Point,

Connection string is not rrecognizing the new varialbe value as the input parameter.

SO,

1. how to pass a parameter from Access Point as input?

2. How to reload from Access Point?

( I would like simple / basic solutions. Sample files are appreciated )

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oknotsen
Master III
Master III

Sorry, not possible.

On the local client, the number of users is 1. On the server, the number of users can technically be a different number, even if you only allow 1.

You could integrate QlikView into another website and make that other website write that variable to a database, make your load script read that from that database and read it that way, but that might be a bit of a complex solution.

May you live in interesting times!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I don't think it's even possible..

even it's not advisable to reload the data by Variable input by users..

just imagine if there are 2 concurrent users and they change the Variable value then how QlikView recognize or what will variable it should consider?

best way to achieve it is create a Filter with list of variable values and end user can make selection using that filter

- let see if there any QlikGeek Can give a better workaround

Hope it helps

Raj

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

P.s: In this case , only one user.

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

Sorry, not possible.

On the local client, the number of users is 1. On the server, the number of users can technically be a different number, even if you only allow 1.

You could integrate QlikView into another website and make that other website write that variable to a database, make your load script read that from that database and read it that way, but that might be a bit of a complex solution.

May you live in interesting times!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Eg:

In QVW file on my QlikView Desktop:

1.Create a variable vVariable1 to include the web filepath (eg: http://www.espn.com/TomBradyStats.csv)

2.Include the vVariable1 as the source in ConnectionString

3.Create a Input Box with variable as vVariable1

4.Reload

- Success ( I see Tom Brady stats in my QlikView Table Box)

5.Change the variable vVariable1 value in Input Box(eg: http://www.espn.com/BrettFavreStats.csv)

6.Reload

- Success (I see Brett Favre stats in my QlikView Table Box)

QVW file moved to my QlikView Server (fyi, I dont have a QlikView Publisher):

From Access Point, I would like to change the vVariable1 value in Input Box (eg: http://www.espn.com/PeytonManningStats.csv)

Reload

- I do not see Peyton Manning Stats in my QlikView Table Box

( I am trying to create a Macro with Reload/Trigger but no success so far...)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Remember QVW / QVDs on QS are shared even You just had one user...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

To reload:

CreateObject("QlikTech.QlikView") .OpenDoc ("Sample.qvw","","").Reload

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Is it at all possible to enter a new Variable value into qlikview document at Access Point and pass it to qvw on the QlikView Server to update the QVW document's Script and execute reload with new Variable value

Not applicable
Author

Does it work in IE Plugin ?

You'll struggle to reload anything via a macro button in AJAX client.