cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brf10043
Creator
Creator

prevent expression from calculating for Months that have not yet occurred

I have the table below where I am calculating a CW Count per Month my Expression is Count (Distinct [CW ID]). 

The second expression calculated the difference between the Rows of the CW Count column

Expression is  If(RowNo(TOTAL) = 1, 0, (Count (Distinct [CW ID])) - Above(Count (Distinct [CW ID])))

Question 1:  How can I prevent the CW Count from calculating for Months that have not yet occurred.  For example, I would want the table to end at March.

Question 2:  How do I prevent the Monthly Difference column from calculating when the CW Count row is 0?

This is what I would like to see.

10 Replies
sunny_talwar

May be like this

If(Count(DISTINCT [CW ID]) > 0, If(RowNo(TOTAL) = 1, 0, (Count(DISTINCT [CW ID])) - Above(Count(DISTINCT [CW ID]))))

brf10043
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks Sunny,  That fixes my Question 2.  Now, how can I prevent the CW Count from calculating for Months that have not yet occurred.  For example, I would want the table to end at March.

sunny_talwar

Doesn't it resolve the 1st thing also? Everything April onward is 0 and will be hidden, no?

brf10043
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks Sunny.  I applied the If(Count(DISTINCT [CW ID]) > 0, to both expressions. and this is what I now get.

I have the suppress null check box turned on in the dimension, but it does not have an effect.

sunny_talwar

You need to check 'Suppress Zero Values' on the presentation tab.... also 1st expression doesn't need the if statement

brf10043
Creator
Creator
Author

It is checked for all columns

sunny_talwar

That is very interesting.... would you be able to share your qvw to see what is going on?

brf10043
Creator
Creator
Author

Actually, I just worked it out.  The problem was that I was using the Month from the Calendar as my dimension.  I switched it to the month that was specific for this data and that corrected the issue.

One follow up question, what would an expression look like to calculate the percentage change in CW Count from month to month? 

sunny_talwar

Like this

Count(DISTINCT [CW ID])/Above(Count(DISTINCT [CW ID])) - 1