Qlik Community

New to QlikView

Discussion board where members can get started with QlikView.

Not applicable

simple expressions

I have a pivot table with three expressions.  I would like to sum together the result of these three expressions into a new 4th expression.  Is there a way to pull the results from the first three into the new expression, or do i just have to replicate the first three computations inside the new expression?

for example:

A+B=C

X-Y=D

K(5)/X=M

I would like to learn how to write an expression C+D+M.

Or is there a better way to get it into the pivot table other than an expression?  Be gentle I am just an accountant.  I see some of the questions some of you post and it looks like hieroglyphs.....and very impressive ones at that.

Thank you in advance for any replys.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sebastiandperei
Valued Contributor

Re: simple expressions

Matt,

In first place, if your expression label has special characters (in this case, the space in Total Value), you must use []

For example: [Total Value]+[Overhead]

In second place, you can't use Sum([Total Value]), because [Total Values] is only a value, the result of the expression in this cell of the table. You only can use the label (or column()) in arithmetic operations, or with OTHER expression.

For Example: [Total Value] + Avg(Tax)

12 Replies
sebastiandperei
Valued Contributor

Hi john,

You must put a Label of each expression. Then, in fourth expression, use the names:

Expression1: Sum(field1)

Expression2: Avg(field2)

Expression3: Count(field3)

Expression4: (Expression1/Expression2)+Expression3

Remind to use exactly the same labels.

rajni_batra
Valued Contributor

use column(1)+column(2)+column(3)

sebastiandperei
Valued Contributor

Use the names. If you change the expression order, you will must modify the expression4

Not applicable

Hi John,

Follow Sebastian suggestion. Give particular name to each expression and just use that name in the 4th expression like

Exp1+Exp2+EXP3. If you use Column then if you change the order it will reflect in the result of 4th expression.

Not applicable

Still having difficulty (probably missing something very basic)

Expression1 label is Total Value and definition is   Sum ([Value])

Expression 2 label is Overhead and definition is   Sum ([Overhead])

when I try to add the expression (exactly as it reads here):           Total Value + Overhead           there is no result.  It does not indicate an error or bad field name, just returns a result of "-"  (the correct result should be a positive whole number).

I tried a simpler formulae to troubleshoot

if I add the expression      sum ('Total Value')     to try to see if I could just pull in the result from just the first expression, it returns a zero. By adding quotes to the label it changed the result from a "-" to a zero, but still not the correct positive number.

srikanthsri1
Valued Contributor

use coloumn function

i.e coloumn(1)+coloumn(2)+coloumn(3)

Not applicable

I'm sorry I am not able to get that to work either.....just returns "-"

I feel like I am getting the syntax wrong by omitting a [ or ' or some other little thing

Not applicable

Here is an example of what srikanthsri1 suggested. Using the columns expression is easiest - I can never seem to get the titles to work right but maybe that's just me.

Not applicable

Success with the column expression.  I would rather use the expression labels so I don't have to change the expression if i move columns......but for now I am tired of messing with it.

Thank you VERY much for sending the test file.   That made all the difference.

Community Browser