Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
waszcma1
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

synthetic key - is it right?

Hi to all,

This is my first post and I would like to ask more experienced QV users for advice

Shortly saying i have to report 3 different value from 3 tables

1) First value is taken from table: task survey (this is a number of requested surveys sent to the customers)

2) Second value is feedback count (survey response) : number of received surveys

3) Third value is number of closed incidents (incident)

What should be reported?:

In particular month i have to show how many requested has been sent, how many surveys answers we received and how many were closed incidents.

As you see I have created synthetic key with two selectors (date by month, and assignment group) - why?

Because I have to be careful and not correlate INC numbers, I need to present statistic for Assignment groups within particular month.

All I can say about this model: it is working fine but, what do you think about it?

Is it right way to do it or is total crap?

4 Replies
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

If you want to link the year_month of an incident with the year_month of a survey, then I think it is OK to do what you do.

But, you could perhaps argue that you should link only using AGs - so that an incident from one month is linked to a survey of another month, since they have the same AGs. It depends on the data, and you need to answer whether or not you should link on AGs only.

HIC

waszcma1
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Of course I should ask what the business needs are?

In my opinion this kind of relation shows only statistic by Assignment group and saying not much about customers which is more valid for company.

I think better thing is check how fast of sent request have been answered as it is common thing that some of feedbacks comes after couple month delay time or some request are not answered at all.

Thank you for  youtcomment!

MarcoWedel

maybe you find this useful?

Should We Stop Worrying and Love the Synthetic Key?

by John Witherspoon

regards

Marco

Not applicable

Hi,

Never happens if concatenate your 3 fact tables or if you prefer create a "%MainKey" with field AGs &'|' & Year_Month as %MainKey.

Best Regards.