cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
becki_kain
Contributor III
Contributor III

table of totals?

i have a pivot table, as shown below, and i broke up the very complex equations to individual columns then put them together, as shown below.  I had to do this as a pivot table to get the subtotals (the column where "Car" will have "utility" and "truck" later on).  the problem is with the pivot table, i can't hide the pieces of the equations so the final columns will be these massive and unweildy equations.  if i break up the charts into line charts of "car" "utility" and "truck, i can get the subtotals of each but how do i add those subtotals to get the final line of totals (and the bottom of this chart)?  thanks

becki kain

31 Replies
sunny_talwar

I would like to take a step back to understand why exactly have you broken the expression down into multiple expressions? I don't really understand the use of this? Can you explain please?

becki_kain
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I'm taking a decade old excel/macro sheet, translating it to alteryx then qlik.  the intermediate steps are to confirm all the underlying math is correct, step by step, so where something is :

(year 2's manufacturer by segment/year 2 total industry)-(year 1's manufacturer by segment/year 1 total industry)

I broke it down to as many small equations so I confirm each block was correct as I build up these huge expressions.

I'm learning all 3 "languages" at the same time so I have to confirm my math

sunny_talwar

‌Okay that makes sense. So, have you got what you were looking for? Or are you still working on this?

becki_kain
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I'm going to try the suggestion of subtotals in a line chart and the variables replacing the expressions (as separate qlikview projects) and see how it goes.  we're just learning.

becki_kain
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

how do you add expressions with the load script like :

Table1:
LOAD * INLINE [
Dept, Project, Amount
IT, Hardware, 10000.00
IT, SOFTWARE, 3000.00
CIVIL, Furniture, 100000.00
CIVIL, BUILDING AT NEW LOCATION, 5000000.0
]
;

I have a ton of expressions to add in and i don't see how I could add them with subtotals .  thanks

and variables won't work because i'd need one for each segment by manufacturer and there are 15 or so of them.

MK9885
Master II
Master II

I do not know how to add expression within Inline load.

I'd rather load/save the inline load into qvd and then do my expressions both in backend or frontend.

Backend cannot take Set Analysis, it can take If, Min, Max, Count, sum etc...

becki_kain
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

k, solution seems to be do a pivot and  have expressions extremely long.  thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

You would have to do a resident load off of the inline.

Table1:
LOAD * INLINE [
Dept, Project, Amount
IT, Hardware, 10000.00
IT, SOFTWARE, 3000.00
CIVIL, Furniture, 100000.00
CIVIL, BUILDING AT NEW LOCATION, 5000000.0
]

;

Table2:

Load *,

1+1 as NewField

Resident Table1;

Drop table Table1;

becki_kain
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

so i'd have to do that, 1+1 as Newfield, for each expression?

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want to have them all in the script, yes.