what is difference between qvb & qv

Hi

what is difference between qvb & qv ?

Br

Anta

14 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Anta,

Assuming you mean the name of executable files, qv.exe is the QlikView Desktop executable file and qvb.exe is the name of Publisher (part of the QlikView Disitribution Services) executable file in versions 9 and 10.

Is that what you were looking for?

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Hi there,

if you are refering to qv.exe and qvb.exe:

qv.exe: the process refering to a specific qlikview appliction that is open on the server/pc. For example opening a Qlikview model through Qlikview developer would register as qv.exe.

qvb.exe: the Qlikview batch process automatically loaded by the QVS service for reloading a specific Qlikview model.For example a task running which is scheduled on the Qlikview Enterprise management Console(QEMC) would register as qvb.exe.

Hope this helps,

Regards GJ.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Anta,

I'm afraid I'm a bit lost on your original question and this new issue. As I said, the qvb.exe is the executable file in charge of Server reloads. If you are not doing reload tasks, qvb.exe should not show in your process list. Are you looking to set CPU affinity for reloads? Why don't you use the QEMC instead (QEMC, System, Setup, QlikView Server, Performance tab). If not, what are you trying to set exactly?

Regards.

Miguel

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Ok then,

Set CPU affinity to what they want (one, two, four CPUs cores, depending on the hardware of the client) and modify in the QEMC the Working Set as well, so the Server will not use more than the percentage specified.

The command above uses the Windows Powershell to specify the affinity using a command line. It seems that your client's server has 32 cores and they want to leave two free from QlikView, so they can be used to anything else than reloading. As I mentioned above, in the QEMC you should see those 32 checkboxes, that let you to click on 30 of them (or uncheck 2 of them) so 30 processors are set for the reloads.

Hope that makes sense.

Miguel

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Anta,

Open the QEMC (or QMC if you are using version 11). Browse to System, Setup, QlikView Servers, expand and click on the Server, and on the right pane, click on Performance. There are some settings there. CPU Affinity will display as many checkboxes as cores your hardware have. In the case of your client, you will see 32 checkboxes, each one representing one core. Which cores to mark/unmark? Ask your client, but it shouldn't matter which of them to unmark. If they are telling you to leave unused two cores, uncheck to checkboxes, then click Apply button at the bottom part of the page.

In the same Performance tab you will see the Working Set with two values: Low and High. The Working Set specifies  in percentage of CPU and RAM how much of them QlikView Server can use. If you set High to 75%, regardless how long the task takes or how much information are you dealing with, RAM should never go up from 75%.

So, if you can do that affinity in the QEMC why using an external program? Is that the QEMC is not working fine and QlikView Server is not observing the limits as set above? Or said in other words: what QlikView Performace tab does is what you want to do using the Windows PowerShell.

Hope it makes more sense now.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel

Thanks for the details..!!

Yeah my QEMC is working, so for unmarking I need to consult my client (which two to unmark).

In the same Performance tab you will see the Working Set with two values: Low and High. The Working Set specifies  in percentage of CPU and RAM how much of them QlikView Server can use. If you set High to 75%, regardless how long the task takes or how much information are you dealing with, RAM should never go up from 75%.

if I set high as say 80 % then it should not go beyond that, but in my when XYZ report is running it goes upto 95,98 sometimes 99% also. This is the reason to worry.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks GJ..!! diff between qvb & qv are more clear now.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Anta,

Yes, those settings apply for the QlikView Server. I'd suggest you to contact support@qlik.com so they can check further in your specific system if the Server does not respect that 80% of RAM (CPU is used on demand, and during reloads is likely to use 100% in some moments). As far as I have tested, QV 10 SR4, these settings seems to be working.

Hope that makes sense.

Miguel

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Anta,

QlikView Desktop (qv.exe) has its own working limits. Open QlikView go to the Settings menu and see the User Preferences, General tab, Working Set Limits (%) area at the bottom right of the dialog. That should respect the amount of memory Desktop uses, but it does not allow you to set processor affinity. Note that you will need to log on to the computer with the user that is going to trigger the qv.exe task and not your own user.

QlikView Publisher does not have working limits and those should be set in the QEMC.

Hope that helps.

Miguel