Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
Pankaj_Muthe
Employee
Employee

I feel extremely pleased to introduce and share about one of the three finalists of the Qlik Academic Program Datathon,  Dongsheng Yuan!

Dongsheng is pursuing his Master of Science from the University of Liverpool, majoring in Big Data. 

Pankaj_Muthe_0-1620020824068.png

He feels data analysis is one of the most important skills for his career and in his words, "data analysis technologies are able to transfer “chaotic data” into useful information. By the help of it, we can foresee what will happen in the future, just like a watcher. It is really cool!"

Dongsheng has participated in various projects in data analytics and among them is a data and algorithm competition held by Tencent in 2019. A major requirement in this competition was to build a strategy to select key opinion roles. That was his first opportunity to work on Tensorflow and Linux.  He along with his teammates participated in this competition.  Although they lost in the first round, it was a great learning experience in the field of data mining, almost like an adventure! This was the turning point that made Dongsheng want to explore further in data science.

For Dongsheng, the journey for the  Datathon began when Qlik Academic Program EMEA Lead, Lucy Bannister was invited to introduce the Qlik Academic Program and the Datathon. This sparked his interest in Qlik because he felt it is a powerful, yet convenient technology. As a student in the data field, having used many tools including Python, SQL, even C++, etc., Dongsheng experienced that  Qlik could do all this without scripts. The most impressive feature he felt was finishing a lightweight visualization application on Qlik in only 30 minutes, which otherwise required half a day using Python or R.  This further ignited his interest in the academic program and he decided to take part in the Datathon.

Dongsheng took about three days to learn to about the basic features of Qlik Sense such as charts, button, animation etc.  He discovered that using scripts in application would make it more attractive.  He liked the videos in the academic program, which he feels are great. 

Dongsheng says, "The experience of taking part in the Datathon helped me a lot. It provided me with a chance to deal with data about the UN Sustainable Development Goals. And for the past weeks, I have been getting familiar with the visualization techniques. Furthermore, I can handle Qlik Sense now, which means that I can finish a lightweight data related mission within 30 minutes! Those experiences and techniques would be powerful weapons in my career"

Dongsheng plans to be a  data analyst and wants to work in a gaming company because he likes playing video games and online games. He feels that using data to adjust properties, avoiding overpowered weapons, for example would be  great fun to work!

Check out Qlik World to learn more about Dongsheng's goals, view his amazing application, and vote on your favorite!