Skip to main content
LucyBannister
Employee
Employee

Last week the Qlik Academic Program visited Ireland, as I journeyed from coast to coast to give students at both Trinity College Dublin and National University of Ireland in Galway an introduction to Qlik.

At Trinity I was welcomed by Aideen Keaney to present Qlik to her BA Management Science and Information Systems Studies class. The students will be getting hands on with Qlik over the coming weeks, so this was the perfect opportunity to show them some live demos of what the software can do for various industries. I also discussed with them all of the resources that are available as part of the Academic Program. This course produces highly employable graduates, with a great mix of business and technical skills. We are very grateful to be included as part of their learning and to have the opportunity to enhance the student’s data literacy skills further. I also met with other lecturers in the business school to discuss bringing Qlik into their Operations Management and Data Visualisation courses.

The Beautiful Campus at NUI GalwayThe Beautiful Campus at NUI Galway

I then headed across to Galway for a presentation at The National University of Ireland where I had great support from Qlik’s elite partner Capventis. We were presenting to students on Noel Carroll’s Advanced Analytics course, part of a Master’s in Business Analytics. The students have spent the last 6 weeks learning Python and will now be focusing on how to integrate Qlik with Python to visualise predictive analytics. Aun Ashan from Capventis gave a range of excellent demos from trend prediction for accidents to a clustering app looking at crime events by region. This was the first time that an academic program presentation has focused on some of the more advanced functionality of Qlik Sense, and it was great to see that there was a keen interest in this. We also had students from a marketing class join the lecturer who are keen to explore how Qlik can be applied to the marketing function.

Brian O'Flynn from Capventis demoing QlikBrian O'Flynn from Capventis demoing Qlik

It was very enjoyable speaking to both staff and students from a range of disciplines and to see their enthusiasm for the functionality of the software and to discuss how it could help them in their studies and beyond. Also, many of the students were very interested in hearing about our climate change datathon which is happening now. Students from across the globe are participating to propose solutions using Qlik, to a range of climate change issues. The winners of each challenge will be invited to our annual conference “Qlik World,” in Phoenix Arizona, where the overall winner will be announced.

You can find out more details about the datathon here, and all participants must be members of the Academic Program. If you are not already a member you can sign up at qlik.com/academicprogram

1 Comment