Skip to main content
HollyJohnson
Employee
Employee

This week we welcome one of our new Qlik Academic Program Educator Ambassadors for 2023, Dorina Kabakchieve.

Dorina is Associated Professor at the Department of Information Technologies and Communication, at the University of National and World Economy (UNWE). Dorina lives in Sofia, Bulgaria, with her husband while her two children study at university in the Netherlands. She has been using Qlik in her teaching for 10 years, in the Business Intelligence and Data Mining fields. She also works on many other projects (European and national) in the ICT field, both managing and doing research.

Dorina was inspired to use Qlik after attending a workshop, “The training was organized by a Bulgarian company – Balkan Services, implementing QlikView software in Bulgarian companies. During the workshop, I spoke with the company representatives about the opportunities for using QlikView at the University and they supported me. That is how our long-term collaboration started and continues.”

“I am using the software and the provided resources in my classes in the Business Intelligence courses for BSc and MSc students. I have defined assignments aimed at teaching the software functionalities, as well as use cases - for creating BI applications based on business data. The students use the software also to develop their bachelor and master theses.”

Using Qlik in the classroom has helped some of Dorina’s students secure jobs after graduation, she says “there are students who have participated in my courses and later on informed me, or I met them at events, that they have taken the position of BI consultants in companies. Some of the students have joined the BI teams of famous international companies, and others work for smaller companies. As the years pass by, some of those people have further developed their careers and took managerial positions related to BI.”

Dorina wanted to become an Educator Ambassador to expand her network and establish new relations with other university colleagues and business professionals.” I would be grateful to exchange ideas and experience, in order to implement new approaches, teaching methods and interesting activities in my classes. The involvement of business professionals in the teaching process and the more active collaboration with the business are also goals that are in my focus.”

When she isn’t teaching Dorina loves to hike in the beautiful Bulgarian mountains, every week she walks in Vitosha mountain which is 15 min away from Sofia. She also likes reading, going to the theatre, practicing yoga and cooking. When she has time off she loves to travel within Bulgaria because of its beautiful nature, as well as visiting some of her favorite countries in Europe - Spain, Italy and Greece. In the past few years she has also made trips to parts of Asia and the USA.

If you'd like to learn more about how you can get access to free software and training resources to use in your teaching, follow this link for more information: qlik.com/academicprogram