Qlik Community

Qlik Associative Big Data Index Discussions

Ask a question or participate in a discussion about Qlik Associative Big Data Index here.

Partner
Partner

Questions about setting up QABDI in a single node for a PoC and request for values.yaml file...

Greetings!

I need to figure out how to do a single node install for a PoC at a prospect site that can not use a cloud provider.  So, I am trying to create a K8s cluster using Rancher 2.x on a single Ubuntu 18.04 node.  I am trying to follow the instructions for setting up a Minikube as main guidelines for this, but mixing it where appropriate with the instructions in help.qlik.com.  At this point in time, the K8s cluster is up and running, but the QABDI deployment shows that a few pods are not coming up and I am trying to figure out why.   My belief is that the standard values.yaml file uses replicas and antiaffinity rules that I don't need in a single node install and that probably have to be modified in the helm install command - by either changing the values in the original values.yaml file or overwrite them using several of the yaml files provided in the values directory.  Any advise about this?

In order to figure out the proper modifications mentioned above, I need the values.yaml file that is supposed to be available in the values folder (but it didn't show up in mine).  Can someone please provide me this file?

Finally, I noticed that the following instruction is required in the QABDI installation for Minikube but not in the generic instructions:

$ kubectl create secret docker-registry artifactory-docker-secret \          
 --docker-server=qlik-docker-qabdi.bintray.io                                     
 --docker-username=<bintray_user>                                             
 --docker-password=<bintray_api_key>                                          
 --docker-email=<mail>

Why is the creation of this secret required for Minikube but not mentioned in the public documentation?

I am attaching several files that show the current state of the cluster as well as the PuTTY capture of the commands used.

Please advise.

Cheers,

--José

4 Replies
Partner
Partner

Re: Questions about setting up QABDI in a single node for a PoC and request for values.yaml file...

I don't think there is a values.yaml file. In my opinion the documentation was put together collaboratively or after the fact, versus a single exercise. I did notice some variance in what was noted in the document vs what was provided.

Aside from that, your issue seems to be that you never defined persistent storage. So this means there is no storage volume shared between the pods. Here is the documentation for MiniKube on how to set up persistent storage. This replaces the EFS instructions in the document.

Blog: WhereClause   Twitter: @treysmithdev
Partner
Partner

Re: Questions about setting up QABDI in a single node for a PoC and request for values.yaml file...

Hi @treysmithdev !

Thanks for your reply.

After I posted the question, I managed to get to the logs and found the issue that you identified with the storage.  I created the PVs and set them up as server file paths using the names used in the yaml files, so that they would match the claims, but that didn't work either.  Perhaps these paths have to be mapped from the actual paths in the host to a path name in the proper container and passed as parameters to the containers before they get started.

I will look into the MiniKube instructions that you referenced to see if that helps me solve this issue.

Cheers,

--José

Partner
Partner

I am not familiar with MiniKube, but I believe you have to mount the location first. Then you can use the path parameters in the yaml files pointing to the now mounted directories.
Blog: WhereClause   Twitter: @treysmithdev
Partner
Partner

I forgot to mention that apparently every Helm chart is expected to include a values.yaml file:

https://helm.sh/docs/chart_template_guide/#values-files

I believe the templates provided by Qlik in the values folder of the QABDI Example Deployment Details zipfile are expected to be adapted in order to modify the original values set in the chart's values.yaml file using the -f option of Helm's install or upgrade commands.  I tried making some changes in the tiny_20M.yaml to modify the deployment for a single node, but it didn't work.

clipboard_image_0.png

The persistence folder doesn't  include yaml files alternatives for hostPath installations either:

clipboard_image_1.png

Perhaps the folks from Qlik could provide a single yaml file with all the required attributes configured for a single node installation.  I understand this doesn't make sense for a production setting, but, in my opinion, it would facilitate the process of putting together POCs by the partners.