Qlik Community

Qlik Catalog Documents

Documents and videos related to Qlik Catalog

Announcements
IMPORTANT: Upcoming LEF Database Maintenance, Oct. 3rd - SEE DETAILS

Qlik Data Catalyst June 2019 is now available!

Employee
Employee

Qlik Data Catalyst June 2019 is now available!

data_catalyst.png

Hello all Qlikkies!

Qlik Data Catalyst now offers a robust QVD Catalog which provides complete transparency to your Qlik data assets and provides the ability to share your Qlik data structures with non-Qlik analytics products.

Manage and Re-use Your QVD Investments

• Full, searchable catalog of QVDs created in Qlik Sense and QlikView
  • Full profile, data tagging of data elements in QVDs with ability to secure and obfuscate data
  • Ability to prepare and integrate QVDs with non-Qlik assets
  • Shopping and Publication of QVDs to Qlik, data science tools, and competitive BI tools

Improve Lineage Visibility

• Complete visibility to source of data, transformation operations, and downstream publication of objects
  • Ability to import metadata from other sources to include for lineage steps occurring upstream and downstream of QDC
  • Attunity integration showing visibility to Replicate and Compose jobs
  • Ability to click objects and operations and open in new windows
Labels (1)
Comments
Partner
Partner

Excellent @John_Teichman !!... When it will be available to download? or Where can I download it?

Contributor III
Contributor III

@John_Teichman - I thought at Qonnections we heard a lightweight/limited version of catalyst for QVDs would be available with the June 2019 release, is that not the case?  I don't see anywhere to download it.  

0 Likes
Employee
Employee
Qlik Data Catalyst is not available for general download. Partners need to go through and accreditation process and customers should contact their sales reps. In both situations, training is a mandatory prerequisite before gaining the license and download. Regarding the slimmed down version for QVDs, we expect this to be available in Q3. This will be available as a self-service download without other prerequisites.
Partner
Partner
Hi John

Sorry for bringing up my concern as part of this message. I am having a hard time to understand how I can create a post for an issue (unable to connect to microsoft sql server db using JDBC from QDC) in the community/forum?
0 Likes
Partner
Partner
Hi,
Is it possible to Extract through other tools like Power BI , Tableaue and SQL etc...

Regards,
Antony.
0 Likes

Hi Antony,

Data managed via QDC  is accessible via your BI tool of choice.  The single-node version of the product makes the entities (tables) accessible via Postgres and the multi-node via HIVE.   In the September Release we have provided a direct connection between QDC and Tableau.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Chris

Contributor III
Contributor III

@John_Teichman  - Do we still think we might see something around the slimmed down version in Q3?

0 Likes
Partner
Partner

Hi,

I have one more query about Data catalyst. shall we use this as a data warehouse ? can we store all data into  Data catalyst from other other data sources.

Thanks

Antony

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Antony,

Qlik Data Catalyst is sometimes classified as a data lake enablement platform. There are two important ingredients in this definition that are relevant to your question.

1. Data lake is a repository of data from multiple data sources but it is not the same as a data warehouse.  It is not possible to fully explain the differences here, entire books have been written about it. But in a nutshell:
    •  Data warehouse stores data in a relational database platform like Oracle, Teradata, Snowflake etc. Data lake stores data in a file system like HDFS, S3, or Linux FS, with an external query engine running on top of it, e.g. Hive, Impala, or Redshift Spectrum.
    • Data warehouse is structured to optimize specific queries and workloads, which means that source data goes through a transformation process that can be quite complex. Data lake stores data in a raw or lightly transformed format close to the original source.
  2. Enablement means that you don't store data "in" Data Catalyst. Data Catalyst helps you populate a data lake and it builds a rich catalog that makes the data in the lake easy to find and easy to consume. But the data is stored in the underlying file system and accessed using one of the industry-standard query engines, as mentioned above.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Mike

Partner
Partner

Thanks Mike  for explaining these 3 "concepts" (EDW, Data Lake and QDC) in a simple and well understandable way !!!!

Flavio

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2019-06-25 12:14 PM
Updated by:

Contributors