Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qliktechie15
Partner - Contributor III

Monitor user activity- Qlik Catalog

Hi,

It is possible to know how many users have logged in the QC system and interacted with it - how long they were inside and what they did ?

Something like Governance Dashboard for Qlik

Thanks

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JitenderR
Employee
Employee

Hi @qliktechie15 

Please find below my responses

1) If you just need the number of users logged. grep on catalina.out using below - cat catalina.out | grep "INFO  Attempting login for user" | wc -l

It gave me output as 49- does that mean total 49 users have logged in until now ?

[JR] - Not 'unique' logins, but total number of logins. you then process it further to get the unique logins as this line captures the user id as well. 

2) If you need list of unique users logged, you can use localhost_access_log as well -

I see that localhost_access_log is created with the date- so do we need have to know the name of each file and also how do we actual extract info. from it ?

[JR] the output of localhost_access.log can be formatted via the server.xml. At the bottom of the server.xml, you'll see
className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve" directory="logs" prefix="localhost_access" suffix=".log"
followed by a pattern. Please check that the pattern corresponds with the delimiter used when parsing the logs.

More details can be found in tomcat documentation https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/valve.html#Access_Log_Valve

3) Finally pd_audit_log table has a wealth of information including each action performed by the user. 

Where is this file located ?

[JR] - this is a postgreSQL table in the podium_core.podium_md (or metadata database)

Regards

JR

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JitenderR
Employee
Employee

@qliktechie15 

Below are few ways to do this. 

1) If you just need the number of users logged. grep on catalina.out using below - cat catalina.out | grep "INFO  Attempting login for user" | wc -l

2) If you need list of unique users logged, you can use localhost_access_log as well

3) Finally pd_audit_log table has a wealth of information including each action performed by the user. 

Regards

JR

qliktechie15
Author

Thanks @JitenderR  for the reply.

Please find below my questions

It gave me output as 49- does that mean total 49 users have logged in until now ?

2) If you need list of unique users logged, you can use localhost_access_log as well -

I see that localhost_access_log is created with the date- so do we need have to know the name of each file and also how do we actual extract info. from it ?

Thanks

JitenderR
Employee
Employee

Hi @qliktechie15 

Please find below my responses

[JR] - Not 'unique' logins, but total number of logins. you then process it further to get the unique logins as this line captures the user id as well. 

[JR] the output of localhost_access.log can be formatted via the server.xml. At the bottom of the server.xml, you'll see
className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve" directory="logs" prefix="localhost_access" suffix=".log"
followed by a pattern. Please check that the pattern corresponds with the delimiter used when parsing the logs.

More details can be found in tomcat documentation https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/valve.html#Access_Log_Valve

[JR] - this is a postgreSQL table in the podium_core.podium_md (or metadata database)

Regards

JR

qliktechie15
Author

Thanks @JitenderR - it helped.

I used the pd_audit_log table and found quite a few ANONYMOUS usernames there.

What is the reason for such names and how can I know who they actually are ?

Thanks

JitenderR
Employee
Employee

@qliktechie15  i am not sure what ANONYMOUS would mean here. let me check and get back to you. 

Regards

JR

qliktechie15
Author

Thank you @JitenderR 

sapacademy2007
Contributor III
Contributor III

Thank you for raising this question 🙂

Regards,