Qlik Community

Qlik Community Manager Blog

Updates for Qlik Community offerings, announcements and changes.

sli
Valued Contributor II

A Message from the CEO on our Continued Investment in QlikView

Today, Qlik CEO David Murphy has issued a statement related to Qlik's product roadmap and QlikView. You can read this statement in full by viewing the letter here or you may visit the Qlik.com website.

CEO letter pic.png

Tags (1)
20 Comments
evan_kurowski
Valued Contributor

Did I get to be first to 'Like' this?    Because this is great news.  Thank you David & Qlik.

Hi Sara,

Thanks for the information. This is great news and so, we can except more Qlikview new features in upcoming release

Employee
Employee

It´s good to read that.

Some customers are uncertain about product continuity

alexander_nagle
New Contributor II

With regard to new QlikView features: the truth is between the lines I think.

YoussefBelloum
Esteemed Contributor

Excellent news, as a consultant I often think about it..

zebhashmi
Valued Contributor

good!

Or
Valued Contributor II

This is a repeat of last year's statement linked in this year's letter. With no major versions of QlikView planned in the future, it's hard to say Qlik is "committed" to it beyond doing the bare minimum required to keep customers from switching to the competition. QlikView continues to stagnate without being killed outright - which is certainly better than declaring it officially dead, but hardly qualifies as "innovating in the platform".

I'm glad to know Qlik is at least planning to keep QlikView up to date with technical and security developments - this will keep my current QlikView investment healthy in the short term. However, there's no way I could justify a new or continued investment in QlikView in the long term in the current climate. If Qlik wants to show commitment to QlikView, it should put QlikView on a similar roadmap as QlikSense, with regularly-scheduled major upgrades (and a modernized web client / visual face lift).

shekhar_analyti
Contributor II

Even with Qliksense in parallel , constant upgrade of Qlikview is must . I have worked for clients which are not very comfortable to do away with Qlikview as it best fits their purpose , however if sense gets all the capabilities of qlikview , things will be different .

I am happy qliking these day .

b_garside
Valued Contributor

I agree. I think either QlikSense needs to have all the same functionality of QlikView or QlikView needs to catch up on Web UI component as QlikSense. It only has incremental updates so far. Its still a great product and I will continue to recommend it for user audiences suited for it.

everest226
Contributor III

Great News

anderseriksson
Contributor III

What it says is Qlik will continue developing QlikView for stability, security and performance (much of this comes automatically as the QIX engine is common with Sense) also for better management and scalability in large installations. New features in QlikView will be implemented if someone with enough money asks for it.

No release schedule and no road-map for QlikView.
Qlik is focusing on Sense for the future while maintaining QlikView for existing installations.

shekhar_analyti
Contributor II

What you just stated , If that is the case  then Team Qlik has to understand that

many banking clients does not appreciate the idea of moving from one product to other with great ease and

even if they somehow agrees to brace for change , then there are already mushrooming BI tools , luring in for opportunities with relaxed "terms".

By attitude , banking clients often , are ok with maintaining a BI - IT team than switching on to "self service" BI .

As the idea of changing existing IT products and solutions with ease , does not go well with Banking and Finance clients .

Above are my personnel observation and views .

Employee
Employee

Just to pick up on a couple of questions posed in the last couple of comments.

Release Schedule for QlikView - we have shipped a full feature release for QlikView (12.0, 12.10, 12.20) in the Q4 timeframe for each of the last 3 years.  That will continue this year and beyond

Moving clients from one product to another - our goal is not to force clients from one product to another but instead allow you to use QlikView and Qlik Sense side-by-side, for the appropriate business problems.  Our roadmap, as stated in David's letter, will include features that allow your QlikView and Qlik Sense applications to make broader use of the platform & co-exist more seamlessly from a user and a management perspective.

Regards

John Trigg

Director Product Management - QlikView & QAP

Or
Valued Contributor II

Thanks for the clarification, John. However, I still feel that the difference in the statement of direction makes it clear that QlikSense is getting significant investment while QlikView is getting primarily technical maintenance. Consider:

QV:

QS:

With the exception of GeoAnalytics, nothing on the QV list could be described as new or innovative, or even a "feature". QS, meanwhile, gets a long list of new or improved features, many of which are things that QV users have been requesting for years.

As stated in my previous post, I am glad that Qlik intends to continue providing technical releases for QV, but the statement of direction makes it clear that technical aspects are largely where it stops. QS will be getting significant features, QV will not. Perhaps the issue is the statement of direction itself - if the plan is to give QV similar features to those in the QS section (even if the releases are slower), then it would certainly be fair to say that Qlik is investing and innovating in both platforms.

evan_kurowski
Valued Contributor

Not sure if this has been vocalized by others, but my perception has been..

Everyone understood when the QlikSense product line was launched, this new venture needed nurturing, & the entire community has done their best to foster its growth.

It was announced at one point the QlikView platform would reach end of support (implying an eventual end-of-service), but for whatever reasons this retirement has been belayed.  (though I suspect a sect of Qlik population had foresight into this decision).

It's a delicate balancing act having some Sense-centric folks openly & prematurely proclaim the demise of View.  But response from the QlikView perspective seems muted (even with such a population having large, vested interest).  Rather than indulge the impulse to counter-attack (potentially damaging the new platform), commentary has been reserved, to assist what is best for Qlik as a whole.

There are entirely new areas of functionality being explored in Sense, but also truthfully many of Sense's "new" features stem from bridging capabilities to matching QlikView. Personally I'd opine an absence of major new feature development does not equate to absence of innovation.  The base palette of features has still not been fully explored.  Innovation continues in languages much older than QlikView, we have not yet built everything there is to be built.

Employee
Employee

Or, Evan

Thanks for your continued contributions here.  Hopefully the addition of functionality such as 'advanced analytics integration' in the November 2017 (12.20) release shows the ways we want to allow implementations to expand their uses of QlikView. While added first to Qlik Sense (June 2017), it was an ideal candidate to bring to the QlikView world.  We are continuing to look at the platform for similar opportunities to further QlikView's application.

missac1982
New Contributor

There was not much enhancement to the features in 12.2, but i see some stability and performance. but seems it does some good validation checks on the load scripts. existing features seems to be working good.

0 Likes
muratakkemik
New Contributor II

That was is awesome news. Because my favorite BI tool is still Qlikview and will never change

b_garside
Valued Contributor

I hope AAI becomes more mature in its implementation. Its not that convenient to setup.

0 Likes
markp201
Contributor III

I have to admit, I'm not holding my breath on Qlikview.  We're already trying to migrate to Sense as fast as possible but we're having to deal with a fairly limited feature-set.  Feb 2018 has the ability to "skin/brand" Sense dashboards but this requires a good knowledge of CSS and who has time for that?  Why not have options similar to Qlikview web?  I have to change my css to alter the font? The nice thing about qlikview was the personal edition is only a license away from the enterprise.  Qlik sense is bit more difficult to scale.  Qlik can say all they like about the future and unless they release a major update for Qlikview, we can assume a end-of-life will be coming within the next year or two.  I'm sure Qlik has heard this before but (sorry about this) comparing the two tools, Tableau is far ahead of Sense on many levels.

0 Likes