cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aspence
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Data Warehouse Run does not finish, nor return an error message,

I've been working on a project for some weeks, but after adding a couple of lookupfields (similar to left joins) the task run for the datawarehouse simply does not progress beyond a certain point. It has been running for several days without making progress, nor returning an error message.  I can see from the task statement of the running task that it is currently working on the particular table where abovementioned lookupfields have been made.

aspence_0-1642678668085.png

aspence_2-1642678881609.png

aspence_1-1642678702219.png

Labels (3)
6 Replies
jtompkins
Creator
Creator

Which version of Compose are you on and what are your source and target databases?

aspence
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Thank you for answering Jtompkins.

version: 2021.8.0.139

Source and target: Microsoft SQL Server

jtompkins
Creator
Creator

Our team experienced the same issue and we were told it was a problem with our JDBC driver. It's possible this was resolved in a later version but we cannot confirm that. You will likely want to open a support case.

aspence
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Ok, thank you for sharing. I will open a support case. 

robertcur
Contributor II
Contributor II

@aspence yup, the joys of not knowing what the issues are.  I've spent 90% of my time figuring out what the errors are.  To fix, is sometimes the easy part lol....

Although this might be a driver issues.  Just one quick question.  If I look at the little extract of the query, please can you supply a bit more detail on the query you use/get generated.  If you do not take dates into account when joining multiple satellite tables, then you get data that becomes so big that the SQL server has to "cache"...

A nice way to view what is happening, is to go onto your SQL server, onto the data warehouse database, right click and do Activity Monitor.  Get the query and show the Execution plan.  If the estimate number of rows on the plan, is excessive (like billions and you expect millions), then above might be the issue.  Here you can get lots of ideas on where the issues are.  Sometimes, a creation of an index helps a lot...

We can resolve this...we will overcome this...

Nanda_Ravindra
Support
Support

@aspence if you are still seeing the issue, please open a support case along with the query execution plan for the query that is taking longer and also attach the diagnostic package