Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThiebaudS
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Error when associating a source with a replicate task

Hi there,

I have a strange error in Compose for DW when trying to associate a source with a Replicate task.

I'm able to see my replicate tasks, but when I select one and click "OK", I receive the error "SYS,GENERAL_EXCEPTION,Object reference not set to an instance of an object." (see screenshot).

If I uncheck "Associate with Replicate task", I'm able to click "OK" without any error.

I've checked the logs and all I have is:

[Host ] [WARN ] Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Attunity.Compose.BwAutomationManager.ReplicateWrapper.GetTargetDb(String taskName)
at Attunity.Compose.BwAutomationManager.ReplicateWrapper.A(String , DatabaseDto , DatabaseDto )
at Attunity.Compose.BwAutomationManager.ReplicateWrapper.ValidateTaskDefinitions(String taskName, DatabaseDto db, DatabaseDto dwhDb)
at Attunity.Compose.BwAutomationManager.DatabaseRestImp.UpdateDatabase(UpdateDatabaseParams param, UpdateDatabaseReq req)

Does anybody knows something about this error ?

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,

Thiebaud

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
TimGarrod
Employee
Employee

Hi - 

Couple of comments on your question - 

1.   What version of Compose and Replicate are you running?   (Review the help guide to understand which versions are compatible)

You may need to patch Compose to resolve this issue. 

2. Just FYI - it is not a requirement (in Compose for Data Warehouses) to tie a source connection to a Replicate task.   

There is no impact on model Discovery or development of Compose processes when you integrate Compose to a Replicate task.

Setting that check box / selection allows you to see the status of the Replicate task in the Compose monitor.   It allows you to RUN a Replicate task from Compose Monitor also.  This means RESUME for a typical Replicate CDC task.    If the Replicate task is configured as a BULK load only - then you can orchestrate the task in a Compose workflow to control the end to end integration process. 

View solution in original post

TimGarrod
Employee
Employee

Yeah - thats an odd one.  I have that exact set up - same Replicate and Compose versions and I do not get that error.   I suggest opening a ticket with Support to review your env.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
TimGarrod
Employee
Employee

Hi - 

Couple of comments on your question - 

1.   What version of Compose and Replicate are you running?   (Review the help guide to understand which versions are compatible)

You may need to patch Compose to resolve this issue. 

2. Just FYI - it is not a requirement (in Compose for Data Warehouses) to tie a source connection to a Replicate task.   

There is no impact on model Discovery or development of Compose processes when you integrate Compose to a Replicate task.

Setting that check box / selection allows you to see the status of the Replicate task in the Compose monitor.   It allows you to RUN a Replicate task from Compose Monitor also.  This means RESUME for a typical Replicate CDC task.    If the Replicate task is configured as a BULK load only - then you can orchestrate the task in a Compose workflow to control the end to end integration process. 

ThiebaudS
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Hi @TimGarrod 

Thanks for your answer.

I have the following versions:

- Replicate 6.6.0.177

- Compose for DW 6.6.0.104

Thanks for the information. I know it's not a requirement to link the replicate task, I was just surprised with this error that I don't understand.

Best regards,

Thiebaud

TimGarrod
Employee
Employee

Yeah - thats an odd one.  I have that exact set up - same Replicate and Compose versions and I do not get that error.   I suggest opening a ticket with Support to review your env.

jtompkins
Creator
Creator

I do not use Replicate but I get that error all the time in Compose.

All. the. time.

To the point where we cant change anything in our project in production.

We have an open support ticket regarding this issue and we were given a patch that supposedly addresses it, but since it is such a generic error it might not. We have been unable to install this patch though because the version we were told to upgrade to prior to them issuing this fix introduced a new issue that they also need to solve in order for us to move forward.

Personally I think the metadata tables in the sqlite databases are inconsistently maintained, and that is likely the source of those nullreference errors. But that's just my guess.