cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RonFusionHSLLC
Creator II
Creator II

Update to May2022 - model gone

Decided to give the May2022 a try.  Luckily, I backed-up our config and thought to snap-shot the server (VMWare).

Shutdown my Replicate server tasks.  Shutdown service, run update .exe as administrator - updating from Aug 2021

The release notes say:

Compose upgrade path
Direct upgrade is supported from Compose May 2021 or Compose August 2021 only.

So, no additional requirements exist in the documents.

After a successful install, restarted service.

Fired up the website, blank slate - just like the first time the app was ever run.  All my sources, models, DW and DM's were gone.   I didn't bother to register the licensing (I was a bit concerned I wouldn't be able to get back to the previous versions),

I do have the backed-up configuration and I could probably move forward, but this just doesn't seem right.

Promptly - reverted the VMWare snapshot to bring me back to right b4 the update.

Anyone have a similar experience, did registering the license (no mention of this in the release notes) fix the issue.

Ron

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Nanda_Ravindra
Support
Support

@RonFusionHSLLC No need to go to .425(PR08), all it means is that you need to run some additional steps when you upgrade to 2022.5.

I just upgraded from 2021.8.378 to 2022.5 using the steps you provided and all my projects showed up after the upgrade and I am not seeing any issues.

Please retry your upgrade and run the "compsoecli upgrade" from the installation directory if you are still seeing the issue. If the problem persists then open the case with Support and we will be happy to assist and resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Nanda

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Nanda_Ravindra
Support
Support

@RonFusionHSLLC   Did you just extract the 2022.5 binary file on top of your 2021.8 or did you run any additional commands like "Composecli upgrade"?

Reviewing the release notes it looks like we missed a step or two in our release notes. Could you please tell me the exact version(build number) of the 2021.8 version you are running so I can try to duplicate the issue?

As far as I know, if you are upgrading from Qlik Compose 2021.8.425 (PR08) or earlier, you also have to run some additional steps. But I'll check with our internal team and get back to you.

In the meantime please give the exact build number that you are using for 2021.8.

Thanks,

Nanda

RonFusionHSLLC
Creator II
Creator II
Author

@Nanda_Ravindra 

Current version - Qlik_Compose_2021.8.0.336   --- I see you mentioned .425(PR08), does that need to go in first?  The release notes didn't specify the patch level, just the major build level Aug 2021.

My process was:

Extract Deployment package and save it off

Shutdown inbound Replication

Shutdown Compose service

Create VMWare snapshot of server

Logged in as Administrator - run as administrator Qlik_Compose_2022.5.0.140

Finished - no issues

Start Compose service

Launched web page - looked like a fresh install - no model, no license (I did not attempt to re-license)

Reverted previous VMWare snapshot

Good news is that this only took about 20mins end-to-end.

Ron

Nanda_Ravindra
Support
Support

@RonFusionHSLLC No need to go to .425(PR08), all it means is that you need to run some additional steps when you upgrade to 2022.5.

I just upgraded from 2021.8.378 to 2022.5 using the steps you provided and all my projects showed up after the upgrade and I am not seeing any issues.

Please retry your upgrade and run the "compsoecli upgrade" from the installation directory if you are still seeing the issue. If the problem persists then open the case with Support and we will be happy to assist and resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Nanda

RonFusionHSLLC
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks Nanda - I'll give it a try

jtompkins
Creator
Creator

How does having everything disappear go unnoticed during internal QA testing?

Have the release notes on the Downloads page been updated to include these additional steps or are they secret until we upgrade to that version, run into the same issue, and inevitably have to place a support ticket? I would like to avoid that.

RonFusionHSLLC
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I agree.  If it were not for our process to export configs, backup/snapshot our VM's b4 we update, we would have had a huge disaster and days of recover.

After updating again and running the .exe (cant recall exactly - think it was convertdb or something like that) I still had to import my configs to get everything back.

The new feature I was looking for in the update (automatic adjustments to marts), worked a couple of times and now no longer works - creating new support ticket.

rm

jtompkins
Creator
Creator

This is why we are always hesitant to upgrade, because for every bug a new release fixes, 10 more are introduced in its place, and it's this constant cycle which we cannot abide in a production environment.

RonFusionHSLLC
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Agreed...

We are moving everything to Azure, this complicates things by orders of magnitude for us.  So many considerations vs on-prem, performance, cost and even supported MSSql Server features.  Most of the Azure stuff we can sort out, but the cost/performance thing is elusive (elusive is a synonym for EXPENSIVE).   If I want to really test, I have to spin up a new server (cost), install new software (time=cost), spin up a new SQL Managed instance (cost).  I can't just import my configs in new environment (sources would exist,  targets are all new)...(time=cost). 

Sure would be nice to have the product allow two software installs on same server (different versions), share common stuff, have version specific stuff and allow more than one target in the replication...one can only dream.

rm