Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kalmirall
Contributor III
Contributor III

Connecting Qlik Sense to Canvas data

Hello all,

I'm looking for a faster way to pull Canvas data down to connect into my Qlik sense reports.  Currently, we have a API (written with java) that downloads csv files from Canvas- we then make a connection to the folder with these files to pull in data.  It takes at least an hour to download these files from Canvas, so we generally run it once overnight (when the data is not changing) to be used for the next morning.

I could schedule it to run more than once a day, but since it takes at least an hour to download all Canvas data, I'm concerned that users could be confused when looking at the source system vs. the data in canvas if changes were made (which they likely would be) within that 1-2 period when the data was re-running.

Any suggestions out there on downloading/connecting to Canvas data faster so we can run Qlik reports more frequently for our users?  Thanks!

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Katie,

I , as a Qlik Developer, work at Auburn University, Auburn, AL. We just started a project to get Canvas LMS data into Qlik and then build visualizations in Qlik for end users. The end users don't know what they want to see in Qlik.  Would you please share your Qlik App with Canvas LMS data with us? e.g. data load scripts,  all sheets in Qlik App, etc.

My manager is trying to use CLI tool with APIs to downloading Canvas data.

My email address is zzz0004@auburn.edu.

Thank you,

Zhonglan (Lisa)

mariob2018
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Hi Lisa, how was your project?. At this time we need to connect with Canvas LMS and build a dashboards using QlikSense

Any help and recommendations should be appreciated.

Best regards

Mario B.

ssapseid
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hi there

I too need to import data from Canvas. It's good to know that someone else is using the CSV download route. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @ssapseid 

Details of the Canvas API can be found here:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Developers-Group/Canvas-APIs-Getting-started-the-practical-ins-an...

From a cursory look at the documentation it looks like it should be possible to connect to it using the Qlik REST connector and pull data directly into Qlik without having to go via CSV.

The authentication uses OAuth and User Tokens, this is how Google Analytics and Twitter APIs authenticate, and I have connected to both of these APIs and you should be able to find quite a bit of information on this on Community.

My experience of APIs is that no two are identical, so it will not be a simple 'lift and shift' of code from one to another, but looking at how other APIs work will point you in the right direction.

Good luck,
Steve