Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
ArturoMuñoz
Employee
Employee

Football season is almost over, only the Champions League winner is undecided yet, but soon the fútbol - football, soccer -  aficionado’s eyes will turn to this summer's tournament. Honestly, I can’t wait, this is the competition we all have been patiently waiting for the last four years. A long wait, especially if your team had a very disappointing tournament last time. No, it wasn’t a good 2014 World Cup for Spain.

If you are anything like me, you’d probably have already memorized each group’s teams, imagined any possible what-if scenario, and visualized your team’s captain getting that gorgeous golden trophy by July the 15th. We want to help you to take your guesses to the next level, and have a little bit of fun and competition.

Choose your Champion app will let you predict how this summer’s competition will finish, and more.

ext.jpg

How it works

Our bracket is bit more sophisticated that most, we have created a data-driven experience. Each one of the decision points in the app has been enhanced with data, so when you pick a team to end up in the first place of a group, you can corroborate if your gut feeling matches with our data predictions. If you are doubtful about a knockout game winner simply check the stats and make an informed decision.

The process is simple, select first and second place in the groups stage, the bars next to the team names will tell you who is more likely to move to the next stage. Then in knockout round, check the gauge and the extended stats and pick the winner of each match to complete the bracket. Finally decide your tournament winner, and share it with your friends.

But there’s more

This year, we also want you to be able to track your bracket and check how do you rank among other people.

We added a simple login system using Facebook - no, we are not getting any of your personal data, not even your Facebook name nor email - and now you will be able to submit and save your bracket safely.  After the tournament have started, we will provide each one of you with a score based on how many predictions you got right.

You can use the Choose Your Champion score to compete against your friends and coworkers privately and beat them all!

Qlik.com/choose-your-champion

Enjoy and share it!

Arturo

10 Comments
Not applicable

Great work Arturo, playing with it already. Good luck to Spain!!

maxsheva
Creator II
Creator II

Hi Arturo, thanks for this nice tool!

Hopefully this World Cup will give us lots of wonderful matches.

Please advise how is possible to build such web app on Qlik based?

flanfranco
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Great Work!!!
What Qlik technologies have you applied to this project?

ArturoMuñoz
Employee
Employee

@Max and @Flavio

Thanks for your comments. This is indeed a very simple app, we retrieve the data from Qlik Sense when the page loads using our engine API. Qlik Sense keeps and reloads all data about groups, teams, stats, and all the calculations needed later in the web. JS takes it from there.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great work Qlik! Go Poland!

0 Likes
pabloviera
Creator
Creator

Nice job Arturo

I think there's one mistake, the out % in the group stage should be 100 minus the displayed value (Sum of 1st and 2nd)

Cheers

ArturoMuñoz
Employee
Employee

Thanks for the heads up Pablo, it's fixed now.

verheyenbert
Contributor II
Contributor II

Nice work!

A question, the visualizations used are these also qlik extensions?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great job ! Able to share script to load data from API?  I will like to include qualifying and current live group results to make my final prediction.

Cheers,

Nelson

0 Likes
akzhanconsult
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hello Arturo,

I have a question.

How did you make your filters on the second page to scroll along with the page?

0 Likes