Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

To make a chart in QlikView – in any Business Intelligence tool, for that matter – you need to have one or several dimensions; entities with discrete values that you use as grouping symbols. But where should you define these dimensions: In the script or in the object where the dimension is used?

In most cases, you will use an existing field as dimension, i.e. an attribute that exists in the source data. In such a case, the answer to the above question is easy: Just make sure to load the field in the script, and you're done.

But in some cases you want to use derived attributes: Attributes that do not exist in the source data but one way or another can be calculated from existing fields.

One example is the fields of the Master Calendar: Year, Month, etc. These can all be derived from a date found in the source data:

Month(Date) as Month

Year(Date) as Year

A more advanced example is if you want to classify or rank a field. The following expression returns ‘A’ for the 10 best customers and a ‘B’ for the rest:

If(Aggr(Rank(Sum(Sales)),Customer)<=10,'A','B')

For such fields the above question is very relevant: Should they be calculated in the script and saved as fields, or should they be calculated on the fly in a sheet object?

Image2.png

There are pro:s and con:s with both approaches: A field calculated in the script is calculated once and for all, so it does not need to be re-calculated every time the user clicks. Hence, response times will be slightly shorter if the field is calculated in the script.

On the other hand, in some cases you want the field to be re-calculated every time the user clicks. A good example is the classification using Rank() above. Most likely you want this field to depend on the selection made: If you have selected a product, you want to see the classification of the customers given this selection. Such a number is in its nature dynamic and should be calculated every time the user clicks.

The key is whether the calculated field should be static or dynamic. The field Month is static: A specific date always belongs to the same month, irrespective of user selection. As opposed to a classification or a rank where the calculation usually should be dynamic, since the result potentially could change every time the user clicks.

Bottom line is that dynamic fields must be calculated in the chart or the list box. But for static fields it is better if they are calculated in the script, since precious CPU-time otherwise will be unnecessarily spent every time the user clicks.

HIC

Note: The Rank() function cannot be used in the script, so if you want to calculate a static rank in the script, you need to do it in a different way, using e.g. a combination of Order By and RecNo().

Further reading related to this topic:

Buckets

25 Comments
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee
  1. You are right that Dimension Limits only exists in charts, so this option is not possible.
  2. You can use Set Analysis. See below.
  3. Aggr() does indeed produce several values. You need the second parameter, the grouping symbol, to define how many values it should produce.

You need a calculated dimension, but this you can have in a list box also. Just choose <Expression> from the drop down list. The following expressions are both possible:

=Aggr(If(Rank(Sum(Sales))<=5,Only(State)), State )

=Aggr(Only({1<State={"=Rank(Sum(Sales))<=5"}>} State), State )

HIC

Not applicable

Histogram 2014-06-23.jpgHello Henric,

Your explanation on Calculated Dimension helps a lot. I now understand that I need something like for the problem I'm facing.

I want to have a 'histogram' that works for selecting one single month, but also in case I select multiple (e.g. 2 months).

In this histogram on the X-axis I want to show the 'AppUsageFrequencyCategories': 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, 6+x for nr of times a certain App has been used. This AppUsageFrequencyCategory is dependent on AppUsage attribute which contains how many time the App is used in a specific month for a specific country etc.

In the expression I calculate the number of devices (COUNT DISTINCT DeviceID) for which in a certain month the selected App (=ServiceID) has been 1x, 2x, 3x etc.

I first had the 'AppUsageFrequencyCategory' as a calculate attribute, but I do understand now I need a Calculated Dimension for it.

Simply example of the problem why my currently defined Calculated Dimension does not seem to work:

For Month 20140101:

DeviceID, AppUsage

7602767 2

7603047 2

8538589 9

For Month 20140201:

DeviceID, AppUsage

7602767 1

8102376 2

8538589 13

I get:

For Month 20140101 and 20140201 (both selected):

DeviceID, AppUsage

7602767 2

7603047 2

8102376 2

8538589 9

8538589 13

I need:

For Month 20140101 and 20140201 (both selected):

DeviceID, AppUsage

7602767 3 (1+2)

7603047 2

8102376 2

8538589 22 (9+13)

And because "I get" (see above) is not what "I need", the histogram will count the number of Unique Devices wrongly as it does a count distinct devices within the AppUsageFrequency Categories. I see that I have some double counting if in the first month the App Usage for a unique Device is in a different 'category' then in the second month etc.

My Calculated Dimension is the following:

=IF(AppUsage=1,'1x',IF(AppUsage=2,'2x',IF(AppUsage=3,'3x',IF(AppUsage=4,'4x',IF(AppUsage=5,'5x','6+')))))

The problem is that I need to do the SUM or AGGR over the selection (e.g. the two months) so that a DeviceID that uses that App e.g. 1x in Month 1 and 1x in Month 2 is calculated as '2x' and not as '1x'.

Before I had the following line as a calculated attribute in my table (which work if I select only one month):

IF(AppUsage=1,'1x',IF(AppUsage=2,'2x',IF(AppUsage=3,'3x',IF(AppUsage=4,'4x',IF(AppUsage=5,'5x','6+')))))  AS AppUsageFreqCategory

Any suggestion?

If needed I can provide the source code, or a picture of the current QV model I have.

0 Likes
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

I think you need something along:

Aggr(Count(distinct DeviceID),Month,ServiceID)

and if you want to limit it to the numbers between 0 and 6, you can wrap the Count() in a RangeMin() function:

Aggr(RangeMin(Count(distinct DeviceID),6),Month,ServiceID)

HIC

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi Henric, really nice, I have already use it to do the rank Top 40! It looks good. Thank you!

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi Henric, I'm confronting some problems in this subject, hope You can help :

I want to calculate a dynamic statistical standard unit.

The production line is producing different parts, each part has its own average production time and standard deviation. The reported production time for each part is saved in the SQL server.

In order to calculate the histogram for the whole production line (not for a single part) I need to calculate the AVG and STDV for each part, then, for each reported part calculate  (Xi-AVG)/STDEV.

In order to keep the report dynamic I need to do the calculations in a sheet object ,not in the script.

The problem is, when I use AGGR function to calculate AVG and STDEV for a set of reported production time for a specific part  and subtract the specific reported time,

QlikView calculates only the first row.

This is the formula I use (in the expression or in the dimension)  :

=(ProdTime/ProdQuant - Aggr(Avg(ProdTime/ProdQuant),PART))/Aggr(Stdv(ProdTime/ProdQuant),PART)

Picture1.png

Any suggestion?

0 Likes
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Yes, the Aggr() function can be a little grumpy...

You need to have the same grain in the entire formula. Let's say that you make multiple measurements per part, and you have multiple parts in each Plant/Month/Division. Each measurement has exactly one ProdTime and one ProdQuant.

Then I would do a:

=Aggr(

Only(ProdTime/ProdQuant)

- Avg( total <Part> ProdTime/ProdQuant) / Stdev( total <Part> ProdTime/ProdQuant),

Measurement, Part)

as my basic calculation. Note that the Avg() and the Stdev() are calculated for a larger set than the Only() function: It uses all measurements for that Part.

If you round this number to nearest integer (or whatever is appropriate) you can make a histogram using the rounded number as dimension.

HIC

PS I have in fact already written a blog post about box plots that uses such a calculation. It will be published later during the summer.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thanks a lot  for perfect and fast solution ,

Building a histogram with Class function was not the problem. only the AGGR calculation.

Using this function  Avg(TOTAL <PART,ACT> ProdTime/ProdQuant) instead of AGGR is the solution.

This is the whole function :

=(ProdTime/ProdQuant- Avg(TOTAL <PART,ACT> ProdTime/ProdQuant))/Stdev(TOTAL <PART,ACT> ProdTime/ProdQuant)

Can you explain this part of the function : TOTAL <PART,ACT> or send a link to a relevant blog?

Ori Donner.

0 Likes
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

I should probably write a blog post on that....

Anyway, if you have a chart or an aggr() fucntion, you can use the total qualifier to disregard the dimension(s).

if you have a pivot table with month and region, then

Sum(total Sales) is the sum over the entire chart.

Sum(total <month>) is the sum of the row

Sum(total <region>) is the sum of the column

See also

The Aggregation Scope

When should the Aggr() function NOT be used?

HIC

Not applicable

Thanks, waiting for your blog.

0 Likes
Not applicable

By using a calculated dimension it takes more time when compared to normal dimension is there any function or any application that shows the time taken for each chart each object

0 Likes