Skip to main content
Jennell_McIntire
Employee
Employee

In many of the demos that I have done, I have added a customizable straight table or ad-hoc report where the user can select the dimensions and measures that should appear in the chart.  This is often helpful and can replace multiple detailed straight tables in an application.  Creating the customizable chart involves simply loading the dimensions and measures that the users can pick from and then adding a straight table with conditional dimensions and expressions.

In the Call Detail Record Analysis demo a customized report was added to the application.  This is how the ad-hoc report looks with some dimensions and metrics selected.

report.png

The steps taken to build this report were:

• Load dimensions and metrics that should appear in the list box for the user to choose from.  In this example, this was done by adding two inline tables with the script below.

inline tables.png

• Then list boxes for _dimension and _metrics were added to the report sheet with the LED Check boxes selection style.

led style.png

• Next a straight table is added to the sheet with the following conditional calculation:

calc condition.png

The chart will be displayed if at least 1 dimension and 1 metric are selected from the list boxes.

• Next the dimensions were added to the table.  Each dimension in the list box was added to the chart with a conditional expression so that the dimension is only displayed if it is selected from the Dimensions list box.

dimensions.png

• The same was done for each measure listed.

expressions.png

In five easy steps, a customizable straight table or report can be added to your QlikView application providing users the ability to display a report with the data they want to see at the time.  This gives the user more flexibility and reduced the need to add detailed straight table charts to the sheets in the application.

You can read more about this topic in my Technical Brief which has more detailed step-by-step instructions.  Have fun!

Thanks,

JMC

75 Comments
bme
Partner - Contributor III

We've used this technique in a number of places though with a slight modification. We load the dimensions and metrics from a spreadsheet. This spreadsheet is loaded as two island tables, one for dimensions and one for metrics. Then in addition to using references to the list boxes for show conditions, we call back to the island table for the dimension and expression formulas as well. Basically the entire table made of calculated values, dimensions, labels, expressions, showconditions, etc.

Dimension

=$(=SubField(Concat({1}FieldName,',',FieldIndex('FieldName',FieldName)),',',1))

Metric

$(=SubField(Concat({1}metric_Expression,'|',FieldIndex('_metric',_metric)),'|',1))

In this way we can migrate the tool from one application to another very easily. Paste in a few objects, a chunk of script, and update the spreadsheet and it's all ready. A highly end user customizable report. Stack that with shared bookmarks and our end users have never been happier. A big thanks to kyle_frye and DI Squared for helping to set up the first one!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice synopsis on doing ad-hoc tables in QV.

I'll throw my hat in on an alternative method for how I've done the same sort of thing in the past.

I like to use an enumeration as the key in the metric and dimension island tables:

{1,2,4,8,16,32,64,...}

This way each key only occupies one bit in the integer.

I then add two variables that sum the metric and dimension keys, respectively, only if a selection is made:

SET v.metric='=If(GetSelectedCount(metric_name), Sum(metric_key))';

SET v.dimension='=If(GetSelectedCount(dimension_name), Sum(dimension_key))';

Finally, for the conditional expressions in the chart, I use the "bitand" function to test for the selected metric or dimension:

Conditional: v.metric bitand 4

The above would only show if the third metric is selected in the list box.

Theoretically, this should use less processes to calculate since bitand is a native operation for a PC and SUM is simple to calculate.

Let me know if I need to expand on this to explain it a little clearer.

-Jeff

neilhepburn

We're all doing the same thing here, but I'll share with you the specifics of my approach, as it may have certain advantages over other approaches described.

As usual, I create two island tables: First for dimensions and the second for measures.

Tip #1: use a hide prefix or suffix so these selections don't show up in Current Selections.

Tip #2: use REPLACE for partial reloads (useful for adding new measures without having to do full reloads - partial reloads should only be used for testing, since the Load order isn't what I normally Expect

Tip #3: Order the dimensions and measures according to user query patterns.  Namely, put most frequently accessed dimensions and measures near top of list.  Then, in your List Boxes short by "Original Load Order"

Example:

[Dimension Selector]:

Replace

LOAD * Inline [

Dimension Name%

Example Dimension Field

Example Second Dimension Field

];

[Expression Selector]:

Replace

LOAD * Inline [

Expression Name%

Min Trans

Max Trans

Median Trans

];

You can then define two variables, which are both parameter driven:

SET ShowDimension=if(SubStringCount(',' & GetFieldSelections([Dimension Name%], ',', 100) & ',', ',' & $1 & ',') > 0, True(), False());

SET ShowExpression=if(SubStringCount(',' & GetFieldSelections([Expression Name%], ',', 100) & ',', ',' & $1 & ',') > 0, True(), False());

Then in each of the dimension and expression Conditional expressions, set the expression as follows to bind a given dimension or measure to the respective Dimension

e.g.

$(ShowDimension('Example Dimension Field'))

For expressions

e.g.

$(ShowExpression('Min Trans'))

With this approach it is relatively easy to specify and maintain bindings between dimension selectors and their respective Chart Dimensions, and between measures and their respective Chart Expressions.  I like using the parameter driven variable since it is much more readable and less error prone when you're in the Chart properties wiring up the chart.

One last tip: I allow users to fast change between Pivot Table and Straight Table, and leave the default as Pivot Table. This gives the best "drag and drop" experience, and allows users to easily create cross tab reports (e.g. months as columns).  I tell users to switch to the Straight Table if they want to perform interactive sorting.

I have created a sample QlikView document which you can find here:

http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-5811

Anonymous
Not applicable

This post is amazing !

Thanks Jennell

CB

0 Likes
MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

This post is very useful and we would like other users to post the different methods they are using...

0 Likes
jochem_zw
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Hi Ben do you have a working example of your approach?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi Jennell

it is possible to attach qvw doc ? so that i cab better understand how it your approach work ?

0 Likes
MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

Ben Myers, jdvermeire and neilhepburn

Can you please upload a sample apps....? Very thankful to you...

0 Likes
Jennell_McIntire
Employee
Employee

Hi Paul,

The QVW I refer to is the Call Detail Record Analysis demo which is available for download from demo.qlik.com.

Thanks,

Jennell

0 Likes
Sajid_Mahmood
Creator
Creator

Hi

Can someone attach the sample file with alternative method used by Neil and Jeffrey.

0 Likes