Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
Charles_Bannon
Employee
Employee

In my last blog I explained how, using conditional expressions, a developer could enhance the experience of a user.  And based on some feedback, I have decided to continue the discussion of conditional expressions. In this blog, I want to discuss another area within QlikView where a developer can use conditional expressions to his/her advantage.

Using Conditional Expressions to Show/Hide Sheets

There are times when, as developers, we need to tailor the user experience based on a device (i.e. Desktop vs Mobile). In the GPS – Store Finder app on demo.qlik.com, we do just that. Based on the values of conditional expressions on the sheet properties, we can give the user a more desired experience.

The version of the app on the demo site uses a mobiledetect extension that checks to see through which device type the user is accessing the application. It then sets a variable (vStyle) to either Mobile or Desktop.

The app also uses non-traditional navigation by hiding the Tabrow.

Setting the conditional show sheet expression to only show when the variable vStyle=’Mobile’ hides the sheets designed for the Desktop and allows the user to experience the Mobile version of the app.

Mobile Version

This is set up to fit nicely on a mobile phone with a vertical scroll and larger fonts to assist in better navigation.

Conversely, setting the conditional show sheet expression to only show when the variable vStyle=’Desktop’ hides the sheet designed for Mobile and allows the user to experience the Desktop version of the app.

Desktop version

Designed with a more traditional approach with the list boxes on the left and the viewing area set within the 1024x768 screen resolution.

By taking advantage of the conditional expression for a sheet, we were able to customize the user experience and, in essence, create one application to handle multiple client types. Another example of the use of conditional expressions to show/hide sheets based in device is the Insurance Demo which can also be found on demo.qlik.com.

3 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Charles,

Thank for the Informative post. Can you provide me a link to download the Mobiledetect extension ?

Thanks

Sri1

0 Likes
manojkvrajan
Luminary
Luminary

Brilliant. It eliminates the maintenance overhead of having two versions - one for mobile and another for desktop.

0 Likes
mr_barriesmith
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Neat. Why is the ClientPlatform() function not good enough - I see you use a Mobiledetect extension?

0 Likes