Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
ArturoMuñoz
Employee
Employee

Continuing with the description of the new charts available in the Qlik Sense June 2017 release, today is the Box plot’s turn.

The American mathematician John W. Tukey introduced the box-and-whisker plot (called simply a box plot) in his 1977 book, "Exploratory Data Analysis".

Like the Distribution plot, the Box plot is a histogram-like method of displaying data and is appropriate to represent the degree of dispersion, skewness, and whether there are potential unusual observations in the data set. It’s particularly useful for comparing distributions between several sets of data, short of having several histograms close to each other so you can compare across them. The data center, spread and overall range are immediately apparent for each data set.

In my previous post about the distribution plot, I used an example data set containing data for 3 salespersons recording their monthly sales data. I'll reuse that data to illustrate how the box plot works.

1.png

A Box plot will typically help us to visualize 5 numbers, the statistical median represented as a horizontal line inside the box, the box ends show the first and third quartiles values. The whiskers indicate the range of the data and they are represented as horizontal lines ending in a small vertical line. Whiskers extend to the farthest points that are not outliers. Depending on the box plot configuration you choose, a provision is made for the representation of extreme values, typically upper/bottom quartile range +/- 1 x interquartile range or IQR. Additionally, outliers or extreme values are represented with dots.

2.png

Some general observations about our salespersons’ box plots:

• The box plot is comparatively short – see Sheri. This suggests that overall monthly sales have a high level of similarity with each other.
  • The box plot is comparatively tall – see Dani. This indicates Dani’s monthly sales are quite different across the year.
  • The box plot is skewed – see Dani. There are more data points on the left/bottom (toward lower values), most of Dani's sales are small amount of sales.

To get the chart working in your Qlik Sense app it only requires one dimension (add a second dimension to compare across it) and one expression. Qlik Sense's new Box plot offers three standard presets, standard (Tukey), percentile-based, and standard deviation. For those of you with special needs or for those interested in learning more about fine tuning your chart, there’s a manual mode that give us full control over each one of the chart elements.

6JiB6eH.png

Enjoy it.

Arturo (@arturoqv)

7 Comments
vikasmahajan

great

navdeepdhadwal
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi,

Can someone help me in using SenseBoxPlot extension for data more than 10,000 as qhypercube has limit of 10,000 cells fetch in one call.

Regards,

Navdeep

leandro_gocosta
Contributor III
Contributor III

Very good thank you

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi!

Many Thanks for the blog!

I have a question where I want to plot the box plot for just a list of values (say for numbers 0,1,2,3,...12)

For this 13 numbers I know my median is 6, First Quartile is 3 and Third qurtile is 9.

Is it possible to plot the box plot of these values (by selecting just one dimension or measure) ?

For plotting the box plot for these numbers in sense I had to choose the same numeric field in both the dimension and measure and it provided the correct results.

However I suspect selecting the 'fact' numeric field (eg Sales or Revenue) from each transaction in the  dimension can cause bad performance with large data sets

Can you please let me know if I am doing something wrong ?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

M.Aushik

0 Likes
paulyeo11
Master
Master

Hi Arturo

Thank you for your sharing. I have some problem , hope some one can share with me , my link as below :-

How to create a box plot ?

Paul Yeo

0 Likes
Digvijay_Singh

Hi amz

Is there any way to avoid outer dimensions when all values for inner dimensions are 0. basically I am referring to the feature available in the other charts in 'add-ons' property section to ignore 0 values.

Please see the attached image where bar chart ignores dimension when all measure values are 0 for Region A. We dynamically select the outer and inner dimensions and some times for many outer dimension values there are no data points but even though it takes space and scrolll bar is needed to visualize the data which is I want to avoid.

box plot image.PNG

Thanks in advance for your help.

Digvijay

0 Likes
Dandred
Contributor
Contributor

Can you create 2 box plot in one graph?