Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

What is Advanced Analytics?

Gartner defines Advanced Analytics as:

The autonomous or semi-autonomous examination of data or content using sophisticated techniques and tools, typically beyond those of traditional business intelligence (BI), to discover deeper insights, make predictions, or generate recommendations.

What resonates with me here are the key words "sophisticated techniques and tools" - these can mean statistical analysis environments, (perhaps R), or general purpose and machine learning program languages (Python / MATLAB) or even specific operations used for pattern search (regex), just to name a few. So what does this have to do with Qlik? Well, let's say you have an investment in R, Python, MATLAB or even something custom you created for your advanced analytics activities. You may want to reuse or apply algorithms from those systems to data available in your Qlik environment, taking advantage of Qlik's associative model as well - how would you do that? Previously, you might have to export the data from those systems and then import and associate it within Qlik. Well not any longer now that we have Qlik Advanced Analytics Integration.

What is Qlik Advanced Analytics Integration?

7-20-2017 5-40-37 PM.png

Architecture

Simply put, Qlik Advanced Analytics Integration (AAI) enables direct server to server data exchange between Qlik Sense and 3rd party calculation / analysis engines via a connector or what we also call a plugin. So for example, a specific forecasting function that is part of an R library can now be called from within Qlik script and chart expressions and calculated on the fly. Passing the results back to the Qlik analysis engine and subsequent visualizations.

aa1.gifi.e. - Holt-Winters Forecast / K-means Clustering - running on R

With the release of Qlik Sense June 2017, Qlik specifically now supports the APIs that can provide connectivity to such engines. Allowing you to build virtually any connector to any system. The Qlik Sense engine is also now aware of specific expressions to directly call the 3rd party engine via these connectors. To kick things off we have provided two open source connector projects that enable connectivity to R and Python. (there are compiled binaries for R available here)

To learn more about Qlik Advanced Analytics Integration, join the conversation and obtain resources and community support please visit the Server Side Extensions forum.

Take a look at this 60 second video that provides a quick overview of Qlik Advanced Analytics Integration:

NOTE: To increase resolution or size of the video, select the YouTube logo at the bottom right of the player. You will be brought directly to YouTube where you can increase the resolution and size of the player window. Look for the 'settings' gears icon in the lower right of the player once at YouTube.

Regards,

Michael Tarallo (@mtarallo) | Twitter

Qlik

Can't see the video?

Download the .mp4 and watch from your computer or mobile device.

25 Comments
nikikoradia
Contributor II
Contributor II

Michael, is the advanced analytics forum available to (free) Qliksense desktop users?

0 Likes
caiocampos
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Michael,

When i click in Advance Analytics , my access is unauthorized , how i could release my access?

0 Likes
navdeepdhadwal
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hey Nikita,

It is available from QMC, I don't think it is available for Desktop users.

Regards,

Navdeep

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

‌ hi guys I am looking into this to see when they are releasing the section on the community to the public

0 Likes
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

‌ hello / I am looking into seeing when they are releasing this to the public I was able to access it but I have special authorization I assume that they released it by now please standby

nikikoradia
Contributor II
Contributor II

Tthanks Michael, that would be great! Appreciate it!

Anonymous
Not applicable

This would be great if there is a possibility of connecting R with the free desktop version.

0 Likes
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Nasiba - I believe you can - deh‌ - can you please verify if AAI will work with desktop as well?

Thanks

0 Likes
nikikoradia
Contributor II
Contributor II

Michael, you're right, it works with QS desktop using the open source R connector (that needs to be compiled using Visual Studio).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Nikita,

Wait a min., did you say that the R connector (which has been out for a while), can be used for Qlik Sense?

Very much interested in finding out if somehow could be used with QS Desktop.  ...Presently, I thought it would only work with the Advanced Analytics Connector (AAI), via Qlik Sense Enterprise and QMC, etc.

0 Likes