Qlik Community

Qlik Design Blog

All about product and Qlik solutions: scripting, data modeling, visual design, extensions, best practices, etc.

Employee
Employee

Introducing Qlik Sense 3.2

Well guys - it is release time again and today I am please to announce the arrival of Qlik Sense 3.2. Now if you have been using Qlik Sense Cloud since February 2017, some of these features may seem familiar to you already. Going forward we may not always roll out everything in one big bang for a dot/feature release. In fact, as we continue to build on our strength in the cloud, we are beginning to make features available in Qlik Sense Cloud on a continuous basis so there is really no need to wait for the ‘big day’ to get the latest features. So if you are eager to try out new features and capabilities in Qlik Sense, there is always a chance they could already be in Qlik Sense Cloud ahead of the Desktop and Enterprise software. So stay tuned and connected to us for the latest news.

In this blog I wanted to demonstrate and present what's new in Qlik Sense 3.2. As one of our community members puts it, it is "a pretty beefy dot release". To keep it plain and simple here are the highlights:

4-3-2017 8-01-20 PM.png

• Advanced coloring
    Ability to more easily choose user defined colors for visualizations, measures, and KPI objects

• Calendar measures (my favorite)
    Automatically generated fields for comparing date ranges for measures without writing Set Analysis expressions. (BTW, if you don't know what Set Analysis is, I suggest you check out this primer video:A Beginners' Introduction to Set Analysis (video) as the concepts learned can still apply to other analysis.)

• GeoAnalytics
    This is technically not "in" 3.2 - but is ready to be used with it. I make mention of this in the video and you can learn more here: Introducing Qlik GeoAnalytics

• Shared persistence
    A new installation option for Qlik Sense Enterprise when deploying multi-node sites that allows nodes access to centralized storage, improving performance and stability with larger deployments.

• Supported desktop client
    Allows Qlik Sense Desktop to authenticate against a Qlik Sense Enterprise server NOW with full support by Qlik in production environments. (No Qlik Sense server? - then you must register for a QlikID and use those credentials)

• Additional visualization, navigation, and search improvements

So, sit back and enjoy this short video that describes and demonstrates these aforementioned features in more detail. Leave your comments and feedback to below, we'd love to hear from you.

If you want to get Qlik Sense Desktop 3.2 today - you can get it from this temporary link Qlik Sense Desktop here - we are currently updating our Qlik Sense Desktop products page on our website. You can also experience 3.2 without downloading any software by using the Qlik Sense Cloud.

For additional help on these features and more check out our Qlik Help Channel on YouTube. (I don't manage this, so videos are not always available as .mp4)

Regards,

Michael Tarallo (@mtarallo) | Twitter

Qlik

What's New in Qlik Sense 3.2

NOTE: To increase resolution or size of the video, select the YouTube logo at the bottom right of the player. You will be brought directly to YouTube where you can increase the resolution and size of the player window. Look for the 'settings' gears icon in the lower right of the player once at YouTube.

Note: Can't see the video? Access to YouTube blocked?
Download the .mp4 file attached to this post.

down-arrow-png-17.png

42 Comments
karthickv
Contributor

Thanks Michael and Team,

I have installed QS 3.2 and I am highly impressed with the Qlik Converter and Calendar Measures.

Looking forward for interesting features like this !

Karthick V.

AlbertoV
Contributor III

Couldn't agree more with you about Calendar measures! Very, very nice!

ecolomer
Honored Contributor II

Good. Thank's.

kkkumar82
Valued Contributor III

The calendar Measures are very nice, will ease some of the work.

I even like the converter one, is it available for free downloads or only for customers and partners

Employee
Employee

Hi Kiran,

The QlikView Converter is available in the FREE Qlik Sense Desktop Developer hub - just click the upper right menu icon:

And it will open a browser:

Have fun

Regards,

Mike T

0 Likes
kkkumar82
Valued Contributor III

That's awesome Mike, one more question, is 3.2 available for community users now or we should use customer or partner login.

0 Likes
robert99
Valued Contributor II

"Supported desktop client

Allows Qlik Sense Desktop to authenticate against a Qlik Sense Enterprise server NOW with full support by Qlik in production environments. (No Qlik Sense server? - then you must register for a QlikID and use those credentials)"

I assume this mean use the Qlik Community Login?

Not applicable

Hi Michael,

I've tried downloading 3.2 a number of times but keep getting 3.1 SR4. Can you tell me what I'm missing?

Also, just wondering if you guys have ever considered referencing the version number on the download page so people can tell if its worth a refresh?

Thanks Michael

0 Likes
devarasu07
Honored Contributor II

Hi,

Try to download from Qlik Support portal using your company support ID.

Qlik Sense 3.2.JPG

0 Likes
paulyeo11
Valued Contributor II

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the new feature you are sharing , I try to create calendar measure , I need some help.

How to Create calendar measure

Hope you can help me.

Paul

0 Likes
robert99
Valued Contributor II

Hi Paul

I also couldn't get it to work. But I think you need to use the auto calendar. But even using this I still couldn't get it to work

[autoCalendar]:

DECLARE FIELD DEFINITION Tagged ('$date')

FIELDS

Dual(Year($1), YearStart($1)) AS [Year] Tagged ('$axis', '$year'),

Dual('Q'&Num(Ceil(Num(Month($1))/3)),Num(Ceil(NUM(Month($1))/3),00)) AS [Quarter] Tagged ('$quarter', '$cyclic'),

Dual(Year($1)&'-Q'&Num(Ceil(Num(Month($1))/3)),QuarterStart($1)) AS [YearQuarter] Tagged ('$yearquarter', '$qualified'),

Dual('Q'&Num(Ceil(Num(Month($1))/3)),QuarterStart($1)) AS [_YearQuarter] Tagged ('$yearquarter', '$hidden', '$simplified'),

Month($1) AS [Month] Tagged ('$month', '$cyclic'),

Dual(Year($1)&'-'&Month($1), monthstart($1)) AS [YearMonth] Tagged ('$axis', '$yearmonth', '$qualified'),

Dual(Month($1), monthstart($1)) AS [_YearMonth] Tagged ('$axis', '$yearmonth', '$simplified', '$hidden'),

Dual('W'&Num(Week($1),00), Num(Week($1),00)) AS [Week] Tagged ('$weeknumber', '$cyclic'),

Date(Floor($1)) AS [Date] Tagged ('$axis', '$date', '$qualified'),

Date(Floor($1), 'D') AS [_Date] Tagged ('$axis', '$date', '$hidden', '$simplified');

DERIVE FIELDS FROM FIELDS [TEMP], [First Introduction Date], [Order Date], [Actual Ship Date], [Invoice Date] USING [autoCalendar] ;

0 Likes
paulyeo11
Valued Contributor II

Hi Robert

I think this is very good feature , hope some one can help.

Paul Yeo

DIrector

TDS Technology (S) P/L

Whatsapp +65 9326 1804

www.tdstech.com<http://www.tdstech.com>

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Hi Paul - please open a discussion thread in the community and I will have someone address.

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Hi Ben - let me find out what's going on, I was told 3.2 will be available.

paulyeo11
Valued Contributor II

Hi Michael

https://community.qlik.com/thread/256177

Above is the post I hope some one can help to answer.

Paul Yeo

DIrector

TDS Technology (S) P/L

Whatsapp +65 9326 1804

www.tdstech.com<http://www.tdstech.com>

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Hi Ben - it seems that only the Qlik download site (available for customers and partners) only has 3.2 - they plan on releasing this for Qlik Sense Desktop - later this week. I think they have a few things to work out still. I will update you.

Employee
Employee

Hi Kiran - I recall that you can get it directly here - we just have not had a chance to update the main website yet: Qlik Sense Desktop here - HTH

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Hi Ben - you can get it here for now: Qlik Sense Desktop here - I will update the blog to reflect this.

Not applicable

When will be the end user based interface level on-the-fly grouping functionality be added in Qlik Sense? Have been waiting for very long time to see such functionalities. Like on-the-fly drill-down that has been added in Qlik Sense which helps in many ways, this is a basic need for any report building and it becomes time consuming job to create group or new dimensions when the records of text values are large.

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Hi Sathyanath - I will find out for you.

0 Likes
Employee
Employee

Hi Sathyanath - just to clarify, do you mean something like:

IE. I have state value in a State field NY,NJ,CT,NH,ME etc. I want to create an on the fly group field named: REGION and give it the value of North East.

Where as normally you would do something like this: Qlik Sense - Dimension Grouping (video)

Thanks for your verification.

0 Likes
anderseriksson
Contributor III

As a partner we've had access to this version since February.
Not at all impressed by the features highlighted here!

Advanced coloring

still can't select custom colour for individual measures in visualizations?
Only if making the measure part of the master items I can select a custom colour for it.
Having a visualization with two measures I can select custom colour but then it applies to both measures?
I must make both measures part of the master items to freely pick their colour even if it is a measure I have no plan of reusing.

The measure pane in visualization should have the same colour picking ability as the master items measure pane.
This has been possible in QlikView for a very long time.
I know Sense is not QlikView and it should not aim to be, but there are some small features in QlikView that Sense should copy (cyclic groups anyone?).

Can only hope that in the 4th major version of Sense this will finally be available.

Calendar measures
Might be a good thing but feels awkward defining. And I don't like having loads of different calendars. Would much more like to have a master calendars and tying all facts to that as far as possible.
Perhaps with some more investigations this can be used for creating a master calendar cyclic group but it's not obvious. The visualizations are nice that they respond to different time periods but the automation sometimes goes to far and you can't control it. Same as with tables that omit columns when there is not enough real estate. Nice but I would like to control which columns are omitted, no point when the main measure is omitted and only the reference value shown!

GeoAnalytics

These mapping features are very powerful but it ain't Sense 3.2 features thus no glory for 3.2 here.

Shared persistence

Presented as an "option" here but if you read the small print you will learn that in the next version (4.0) it will no longer be an option but mandatory. Is it an option here to lessen the impact when it becomes mandatory? But actually I think shared persistence is better than replicated persistence. Just that presenting it as an "option" when we already now it will be mandatory in the next release is kind of fraudulent.

Supported desktop client

You mean that all previous versions of the desktop client has been unsupported?

Or what is it we actually gain by being forced to authenticate?

Someone only wanting to try it out is now forced to register with Qlik.
Hard to see what benefit that is to the user?

Sorry but I don't join the crowd applauding this release.
It's not that spectacular.

mountaindude
Contributor III

anderseriksson

I actually agree, especially advanced coloring and to a large extent also the new calendar measures are somewhat... underwhelming compared to what I hoped for.
I guess they work well if you use the visual data prep ("bubbles" etc), but when dealing with larger/many data sets, the visual data prep isn't really an option.

"Good things come to those who wait" etc, but right now extensions (or in some cases widgets) are, IMHO, your best option if you need precise control over chart visuals. With the associated costs wrt development, dependencies on 3rd party software etc.

As for shared persistence, I dare to say (backed by experience) that it is significantly better than synced (even though I always very much liked the idea of synced persistence...). Way more stable and predictable when it comes to larger deployments.

Migrations from one infrastructure concept to another are always hard of course... but I think Sense handles it nicely in the current version, nudging people towards switching. But some work is required, of course.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi Michael

Thanks for your reply. Here is the scenario that I need to handle and Qlik Sense hugely lacks certain basic features.

I have a column name ''vehicle_type" under which I have multiple model names such as ''Accent'',''Baleno'',''Truck'',''Motorbike'' and so on. There are 2 objectives that I need to achieve.

Objective 1: Need to create one dimension called ''Car''. Precisely there are 260 vehicle types out of 300 which I've identified as Car type eliminating the rest. Is it possible to create this on the fly as it is a time consuming job to create this in the load script.

Objective 2: Need to create a radio button that shows only ''Car'' and not all the values under ''Car''. Right now I get all the models listed as a radio button (extension used). Alternatively if I use filter pane, this must give me one value only. Is there any way that I could achieve this without working in load script as it consumes time.

I've managed to achieve objective 1 but stuck at obj 2.

TIA

0 Likes
MVP
MVP

The post doesn't make enough fuss about the new QlikView converter.  Having used the previous functionality of dragging a .qvw into the Hub (to get data and load script), I wasn't expecting too much.  The fact that all expressions and variables are created, and approximations of visualisations are created as Master Items, this becomes a massive time saver.

Really good to see that this much needed feature has finally been given the treatment it deserves.

Thanks to the development team that put this together.

paulyeo11
Valued Contributor II

Hi All

I like the new feature , thank you the developer team for keep improve the QS.

I like the new feature about the advance coloring , i try to do it , but i cannot make it , i have post the question on below :-

Re: How to make the LY bar color bar = Gray color ?

Hope some one can advise me.

Paul Yeo

0 Likes
blaise
Contributor III

sathyanath

Please create a post in QlikCommunity instead of replying to this blog post, you will get more answers.

That said, I would recomend to create a text/excel file that includes all vehicle_types in one column and a "vehicle_group" with values like car, bike etc. This file should be used in a Mapping / Applymap statement.

With the same file you can also create a  "if(applymap('MapVehicleGroup') = 'car','Yes','No') as VehicleCarYN" that can be used in a listbox or a radio button if you want to go the extension route.

0 Likes
anderseriksson
Contributor III

Yes, forgot about that one as it was not commented in the original post.
Strange as it is one of the real highlights of 3.2?
Only criticism of the QlikView Converter is it should have been offered years ago.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi Johan,

This has been made as a post already in community. Haven't got a fruitful answers yet.

And regarding the value (textual fields) grouping, the scenario that I came across is little different.  haven't come across for a while such requirement where it involves huge value and grouping needs to be done. The values are large say about over 300 values and it is hard to create grouping in load script. I always wished I would be able to select values that I want to group and create a new dimension group on the fly rather than to create a script. If I want to create several new dimensions by grouping, this adds up to the complexity and requires to work in load script. This can be greatly avoided if we include the front end grouping functionality in the product ASAP. I came across a community topic on the same which shows the time stamp as 2014 when Qlik Sense came as a first version. I'm new to Qlik Sense and I see these functionalities as basic features for any self-service tool. If included, this would be a fantastic value proposition for the end user especially the Qlik Sense users as we are marketing this product as a ''Self-service'' solution. Thanks.

0 Likes
anderseriksson
Contributor III

If you learn how to do it in the script it is no more time consuming than doing it in the front end.
You can use a front end table to get the list of values. From your previous post I understand most of them are cars thus you only need to identify the exceptions and state the reminders as cars.
Doing it in the load script thus adding the grouping field to the data model is much more effective than having script in the front end everywhere you want to have the grouping.
Using the suggested file and ApplyMap is neither hard or time consuming.

0 Likes