Skip to main content
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Guys - do you have 4 minutes? Good, then let's forego my normal formalities this morning and jump right into it!

Here are some recent product and resource updates s well as an informal list of features for the next release of Qlik Sense - April 2018.

Let us know what you think in the comments below.

Enjoy,

Michael Tarallo (@mtarallo) | Twitter

Qlik

Links mentioned in the video are:

• Can't see the video?
  • YouTube blocked by your organization or region?

Download the attached .mp4 to view on your computer or mobile device.

24 Comments
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Luca - I appreciate your input - just for clarity and others who view this  - "basic" is a subjective term and highly depends on the functionality and use case of the app. Extensions are used to enhance the visual richness and interactivity of an application, and may not be considered a "basic" necessity. There are many applications that don't require the use of containers or input boxes, so the term "basic" functionality is misguiding. Note that our certified developer extension program will close the gap on functionality that one may need in an application, therefore providing a full range of certified, tested and supported capabilities in Qlik Sense. Thanks for your comment.

0 Likes
gkluca82
Partner - Contributor III

Sure, you are right. Different users have different requirements, but let me be crystal clear here:

Qlik offer these kind of functionalies into View, an older product, but still not in the newer one, pretty strange isn't it?

We're not asking for completely new features, but for the very same of your older product. These ones, primarily in enterprise solutions, are top tier requirements. I can't blame these big company that are still using QlikView instead of switching to Sense, even if they're tempted to.

I am still hopeful that Qlik will be able to close these shortcomings relatively quickly.

jesus_delao
Contributor II
Contributor II

‌I have to agree with Luca.  We are just about finished transitioning from QV to QS and are relatively happy with the results.  we do however continue to run into seemingly simple things that QV can do that QS cannot or does not.  for example, why would exporting a pivot table also export totals but a straight table will not.  It seems to such a simple thing to fix, but as I look through all comments on blogs it does not appear that Qlik is concerned about addressing it.  There are other seemingly small things that my users want, need,and expect, and all I can do is tell them that “I hope” they will be available in future releases; partial collapse/expand in pivot tables, ability to force single select on filters, export totals on straight tables, ...

mindaugas2048

Another important disadvantage is the absence of the function of copying (from context menu) the table|pivot values  - is there any plans on this issue? I would like to support Luca - in the current Sense is a lack of visual & input elements while the elements (extensions) of third parties do not always work as expected.

0 Likes
cpomeren003
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Will the April release be on April 1st? Or can it release any day in April? Will there also be a technical preview of the april 2018 release (since end of March is approaching)?

And do you have more information about the new map? Is it the GeoAnalytics map or something else?

Can't wait to use the new map, so apologies if I seem impatient.

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Casper - thanks for your questions. There will be a technical preview - it can be released between now and April. The April release date is not announced yet, so it can happen any time in April. The new map capability is integrated Qlik GeoAnalytics. Many are excited for these new features, I'm looking forward to them as well.

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Luca et al - I hear you - unfortunately I do not have an answer for you. If you had the top 3, 5, 10 QV features that are not in Qlik Sense - what would they be - I will take these to our ideation system and do some research to see if they have been entered, if not I will enter them for you and be your advocated for them. In regards to some features, depending on what they are - there may be a better way to achieve it with the same or similar results. Looking forward to your response.

gkluca82

Hi Michael!

I highly suggest you to implement something like Microsoft has done with PowerBI:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

a place where users of Qlik Sense can vote for various requests.

What do you think?

waydec_ses
Contributor III
Contributor III

‌Agreed.

0 Likes
waydec_ses
Contributor III
Contributor III

Good points there Michael.

I guess many don’t want to have bear the costs of commercially available extensions or platforms for features that may seem like “standard features” in other products to them.

For example Power BI has an ESRI visual developed by ESRI available that seems to work fine in its free version. There is a “plus” version available with additional features at cost if one is willing to pay for them.

ESRI is supposed to be the #1 GIS platform in the world.  Qlik Sense in my mind is one of the best, if not the best visualisation platform at the moment.

While there have been 3rd party Qlik extensions developed for connecting to ESRI maps, they are basic and may not be considered robust for production use in a mission critical operations environment. For those who rely on location based analytics as a key feature in their operations (take a state-wide government emergency services agency for example), this becomes a potentially important consideration if one of the drivers behind selecting a Visualisation/analytics platform is location-based analytics.

Having said this, while having a similar (to Power BI), robust and responsive ESRI connector in Qlik Sense would be a positive with me, having this ESRI connectivity incorporated with the GeoAnalytics map features that are starting to be incorporated into Qlik Sense would be a strong point with organisations who use both Qlik Sense and ESRI mapping products.

Kind regards,

Wayde