Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
elif-tutuk
Former Employee
Former Employee

Yesterday we announced the beta version of QlikView 11.2. QlikView 11.2 is a new release of QlikView that will be available in December 2012. The main new capability of this release is QlikView Direct Discovery. We are very excited about this capability as it truly expands the potential use cases for Business Discovery, enabling business users to conduct associative analysis on big data.

Today there are many QlikView customers that use QlikView to analyze terabytes of data. QlikView’s patented in-memory data engine compresses data by a factor of 10 allowing associative in-memory analysis on very large data sets. King.com is one of these customers analyzing billions of rows of online gaming data with QlikView on top of Hadoop system.

Now with QlikView Direct Discovery, QlikView users can do Business Discovery on the external data sets without loading the data into QlikView in-memory data model. What’s really special here is that with this unique hybrid approach business users get the QlikView associative experience even with data that is not stored in memory. This is amazing!

One thing I would like to emphasize is the real value of QlikView Direct Discovery is its hybrid approach. It allows users to seamlessly analyze data from multiple sources (with the in-memory data) within the same interface without any size limitations. The users can associatively make selections in any of the data sets (in-memory or Direct Discovery) and always see what is associated and not associated with the same meaningful QlikView colors: green, white, and gray.

Another great advantage of QlikView Direct Discovery is the capability to query data for more up to date information in the use case scenarios where recency really matter.

How does QlikView Direct Discovery work? QlikView determines which data resides in-memory and which data is direct discovery data by using special script syntax, “DIRECT SELECT”. This allows certain data elements dictated by the script syntax not to be loaded into the QlikView data model during the script reload process, but still be available for query purposes in QlikView objects in the user interface and to be combined for analysis with the QlikView in-memory dataset. The video provides a short introduction on how to set up direct discovery. I highly encourage you to read the technical addendum paper to understand the best practices and some of the limitations that exist with the initial release.

I am personally very excited about this capability and cannot wait to get my hands dirty to try out different use case scenarios where the query results from big data sources can be leveraged with unique QlikView in-memory features!

17 Comments
Not applicable

When I am trying to Login then I am geting Error

It appears you're not allowed to view what you requested. You might contact your administrator if you think this is a mistake.

0 Likes
IrenaCalovska
Employee
Employee

@anilsknp I suppose you are trying to login to the QlikView 11.2 Beta- Direct Discovery community.

We are excited to have existing QlikView Customers and Partners participate in this Direct Discovery Beta community. QlikCommunity members who are not yet customers or partners will not be able to access this area. For members who have recently updated their relationship with QlikTech to that of a Customer or Partner and cannot access, please feel free to email me at beta@qlik.com so I can further assist you.

Best Regards,

Irena

0 Likes
parkera
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

The 'Big Data' door opens for QlikView in an incredible way. We are very pleased to see this functionality for QlikView.  QlikView 11 has seen major advances for QlikView customers and they have plenty to think about for 2013. 

• Agile Analytics
  • Mobile
  • Cloud / Big Data
  • Extensions*

*We are seeing many new extensions come to market that present a tailored QliKView Solution to business Functions Technologies and Verticals.

I see 2013 as being the year of extensions.  Mapping, Planning and Budgeting and especially output management/reporting too.  It really is a good time to consider QlikView.

We really love it too!

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi,

If the direct data is stored on a hard disk, how its retrieval speed will match with data resding on memory?

BR

0 Likes
Not applicable

Can we have this functionality available on Qlikview PE?

0 Likes
elif-tutuk
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi-

The performance of the data coming from the extrenal data source with direct discovery will be depenedent on the external system.

Thanks a lot!

0 Likes
elif-tutuk
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi-

The capability should be available with QlikView PE with QV11.2.

Thanks a lot!

0 Likes
IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Thanks Elif. Very helpful explanation. I'm assuming that QlikView Direct Discovery Queries are passed to OLEDB/ODBC connections and they fetch the data back? If this is true then they should respect the Where Predicate i.e. any underlying indexes on the database table. Is this right?

Thanks,

DV

www.QlikShare.com

0 Likes
elif-tutuk
Former Employee
Former Employee

yes, that is correct DV.

Thanks a lot,

Elif.

0 Likes
Not applicable

When I try the direct discovery feature I have the following behaviour :

if I add a new line in the table, the new line is fetched in the 15seconds following the insertion. => GREAT !!!

BUT !!!

If I update an existing record in the db, the new line will appear in QlikView but the old line does not disappear... WHY???

I have put the option : STALE AFTER 5 SECONDS

If the old lines does not disappear, this function is USELESS !!!!

I tried this on Oracle (home) and Access (at work)

Please help me!

0 Likes