Skip to main content
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

An ABC analysis is a dynamic bucket classification of e.g. products, based on some property, usually the sales number. The best products are your "A" products and the worst are your "C" products.

It is used in all types of business intelligence applications and can appear in many different forms: It can concern any dimension, e.g. customer, supplier, sales person, etc. and be based on any measure. The sales number is one example, but it can just as well be e.g. number of support cases, or number of defect deliveries, etc.

One way to make an ABC analysis is to use a Pareto analysis where the classification is based on the accumulated number after the entities have been sorted according to their numbers. The products contributing to the first 80% are usually the A products.

However, the Pareto analysis, as described in the above blog post, is sometimes limiting: It is for instance not easy to use several dimensions, and it is not possible to define the ABC classes as a dimension. Hence, it is sometimes better to use an alternative classification function:

The Rank.

QlikView has a Rank() function that is well suited for this purpose. With it, you can rank any dimension according to any expression. You can use several dimensions and you can define your ABC classes as dimensions. The logic is that you calculate a relative rank, i.e. you divide the rank of the product with the total number of products:

(Rank(Sum(Sales),1)-1) / Count(distinct total Product)

If this number is lower than 0.5 the product belongs to the better 50% and thus to the “A” products. Similarly you can use 0.75 as a limit for belonging to group “B”. The result will be very similar to a Pareto analysis.

Sense Bar chart.png

One possibility is to use colors to display the classification:

1. Create a bar chart and choose your dimension and your basic measure. In the example below, I use Product and Sum(Sales) labeled as “Sales”.

2. Set the color of the bars to
    If((Rank(Sum(Sales),1)-1) / Count(distinct total Product) < 0.50, RGB(140,170,200),
    If((Rank(Sum(Sales),1)-1) / Count(distinct total Product) < 0.75, RGB(255,200,0), LightRed()))
    In QlikView you do this under the expression “Background color” and in Qlik Sense you do it under “Appearance” – “Colors and Legend” for the object.

But you can also use this method to create a field or a calculated dimension, which means that you can make the ABC classes selectable:

Aggr( If((Rank(Sum(Sales),1)-1) / Count(distinct total Product)< 0.50, 'A',
          If((Rank(Sum(Sales),1)-1) / Count(distinct total Product)< 0.75, 'B', 'C')),
          Product)

As Dimension.png

Finally, if you want to use ranking in a two-dimensional chart, you can use the same logic. However, you must first decide how the rank should be calculated. Normally you would want the ranking to be done within each group defined by the second dimension, i.e. per column in a pivot table:

Two-dimensional per column.png

The above chart shows sales per product and customer. The colors define the classes and the rank and the count is done within each column, i.e. the products are classified within each customer. The following expression was used:

If((Rank(Sum(Sales),1)-1) / Count(distinct total <Customer> Product)< 0.50, RGB(140,170,200),

If((Rank(Sum(Sales),1)-1) / Count(distinct total <Customer> Product)< 0.75, RGB(255,200,0), LightRed()))

But you may also want to do the ranking within each group defined by the first dimension, i.e. classify the customers within each product. Then you need to swap place of Customer and Product in the formula, and you need to use HRank() instead:

If((HRank(Sum(Sales),1)-1) / Count(distinct total <Product> Customer)< 0.50, RGB(140,170,200),

If((HRank(Sum(Sales),1)-1) / Count(distinct total <Product> Customer)< 0.75, RGB(255,200,0), LightRed()))

Two-dimensional per row.png

Good luck in creating your ABC analysis!

HIC

Further reading related to this topic:

Recipe for a Pareto Analysis

37 Comments
cleblois
Contributor III
Contributor III

Thanks for the support, getting too tricky for more, I'll get a younger guy on it

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thanks Henric, great post as usual, just what I was looking for, God Bless you...

0 Likes
herbert_beck
Contributor III
Contributor III

Dear Henric,

I like your post to calculate relative ranks in QlikView charts to colour it.

What do you recommend to calculate relative ranks in QlikView-script to calculate an attribute?

The ranking-function, that you are using, is not available in scripts.

Kind regards,

Herbert

0 Likes
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Its possible, but not as straightforward.

Let's say you want to calculate the rank of products regarding sales. Then you need to first load the table containing the order lines just the way you normally would. In a second step, you calculate the aggregated sales numbers. And in a third step, you calculate the rank. The script should be something like:

OrderLines:

Load * From OrderLines ;

Temp:

Load ProductID, Sum(Sales) as TotalSalesPerProduct Resident OrderLines Group By ProductID ;

AggregatedProducts:

Load *, RowNo() as Rank Resident Temp Order By TotalSalesPerProduct Desc ;

Drop Table Temp;

But doing it in a formula in the UI is probably better...

HIC

0 Likes
herbert_beck
Contributor III
Contributor III

Dear Henric,

thank you very much for your recommendation. That's the way I do it. But RowNo() is not as perfect as ranking since it isn't covering equal ranks for equal sales.

Kind regards,

Herbert

0 Likes
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

True. But then you can, instead of

RowNo() as Rank

use

If( TotalSalesPerProduct = Peek(TotalSalesPerProduct ), Peek(Rank), RowNo()) as Rank

HIC

herbert_beck
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Henric,

thanks, great idea. So

If( TotalSalesPerProduct = Peek(TotalSalesPerProduct ), Peek(Rank), RowNo()) as Rank

is the same as the ranking-function, right?

Kind regards,

Herbert

0 Likes
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Herbert Beck:

It is the same as Rank( <Expr>, 1 ). The second parameter is important here:

Rank function.png

HIC

Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome post as usual. Thanks for sharing!

0 Likes
Not applicable

I'm using Qlikview 11 and can't see to find this option "In QlikView you do this under the expression “Background color” ... some help would be appreciated.

0 Likes