Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
ArturoMuñoz
Employee
Employee

The use of icons and other visual cues has been proved as a great value asset in data visualization.

Icons let people to better understand complex information. Another good thing about icons is that they let us communicate globally. An up-pointing triangle is universally understood as a representation of growth.

QlikView brings you the possibility to choose from a predesigned set of visual indicators.

predesigned.png

A good alternative to the standard icons is the Unicode Geometric Shapes set.

“Unicode is a computing industry standard for the consistent encoding, representation and handling of text expressed in most of the world's writing systems.” (Source Wikipedia).

detail_dashboard.jpgGeometric Shapes is a set of visual indicators that effectively work as a text character. This means, you could use it everywhere you can write text in QlikView. Text objects, captions, cells, sheet titles, etc.

The main advantage of using Unicode Geometric shapes over images is the fact that you can control their properties, like size and color as any other text character. You could, for example, set up an expression to change the color based on an expression.

Another good example of how to take advantage of Unicode Shapes is including them as a part of number format pattern. You can predetermine how the shape will look for positive and negative values.

▲ #,##0.0%; ▼ #,##0.0%

Using this pattern will let you integrate an icon inside a cell like as in Change column in the table below.

intable.JPG.jpg

Color is, in some situations, not enough to differentiate from one state to another. Using different fills or patterns will help color blind people to identify differences.

colorblindicons.png

To include any of these shapes into your next QlikView project you just need to copy the shape from here and paste it where needed.

A

B

C

D

E

F

U+25Ax

U+25Bx

U+25Cx

U+25Dx

U+25Ex

Note: Remember to test your app to make sure it renders properly on every possible browser.

Enjoy Qliking!

AMZ

Update: Here you can get a working app with some examples on how to use these shapes.

40 Comments
ArturoMuñoz
Employee
Employee

Hey Juan try again now

0 Likes
rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

You can also go to your Start Button on windows and search for Character Map, this will give you lots of options including Geometric shapes and other handy symbols and icons that can add value to your Apps

You can select the font, it must me a font used in Qlikview!, you can double click the icon you want and click copy, then simply paste it into your Qlikview document

I  made a video a while back Qlikview with Character Map by RFB 121 - YouTube

CharMap.png

Or
MVP
MVP

Quite handy indeed - I hadn't realized we could put the trend arrows into the number format.

As always, I will reiterate the following note about color: there is no need to use a color for a "regular" positive result. Use color only when attention is required - either because something is wrong (red, orange, yellow), or something is going unusually well and thus requires attention (blue is preferred, as green/red is a problem for the color blind, but green is acceptable - use a different fill as stated above, and ideally different saturation). If everything is on target and this particular object does not require the user's attention, there's no reason to use a color at all.

linaquintero
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Mr. Arturo, I want to know if you have the video of the session today, Tips & Tricks – Geometric Shapes: Replacing images with Unicode Characters- Global People Enablement Program. Thanks.

0 Likes
ArturoMuñoz
Employee
Employee

Hi Ana Carolina,

The session has been recorded as usual. Unfortunately I don't have the link to the recorded session yet. I will keep you updated.

0 Likes
Not applicable

It is also nice to note that the arrows are brought over nicely as well when you export to Excel. Thanks Arturo!

0 Likes
linaquintero
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Thanks Arturo, I'll be pending.

0 Likes
Brice-SACCUCCI
Employee
Employee

I had seen this kind of stuff in the demos but it is great to spread this clean approach!

Thanks

yevgeniy
Creator
Creator

Good thinking. Thanks Arturo!

Not applicable

Hi Arturo

first time see your interesting post. do you have make some blog post previously ? if yes can you give me the link.

0 Likes