Skip to main content
Francis_Kabinoff
Former Employee
Former Employee

With the Qlik Sense June 2017 release comes server side extensions, which allow you to extend the Qlik built-in expression library with functionality from external calculation engines. We've released an open source server side extension that enables interaction with R, and if you use the R-Plugin, you know that you have to start Rserve.exe and SSEtoRserve.exe, then restart the Qlik Sense Engine Service. What I'm going to walk you through is how to setup Rserve.exe and SSEtoRserve.exe to run as services, and then make the Qlik Sense Engine Service depend on those services so that they start whenever the Qlik Sense Engine Service starts.

This post is for people who have already installed the open source R-Plugin and would like to run the plugin as a Windows service instead of starting it manually. If you haven't gotten started with the open source R-Plugin, and would like to, please check out this guide sse-r-plugin - get started‌.

The first thing we need is NSSM‌. Download and unzip, then open a command prompt with admin privileges and change directory to  <path-to-nssm>\nssm-{x}.{x}{x}\win64.

nssm.png

Now we need to install our 2 new services. In the command prompt, enter nssm install RserveService. An interface will pop up where we can define the service. Enter <directory>\Rserve.exe into "Path", and set "Startup directory" to the directory Rserve.exe is in. Then, go to the "Environment" tab, and enter PATH=%Path%;C:\R\R-3.4.1\bin\x64 (assuming you have R-3.4.1 installed in the C:\R directory, otherwise make adjustments as necessary). Now click the "Install service" button.

rservepath.pngrserveenv.png

Next, we need to install a service for SSEtoRserve.exe. So, again, at the command prompt enter nssm install SSEtoRserveService, and then enter <directory>\SSEtoRserve.exe into "Path", and set "Startup directory" to the directory SSEtoRserve.exe is in. Now click "Install service".

ssetorserve.png

Now that the two services are installed, we can set the Qlik Sense Engine Service to depend on them, so that any time the Qlik Sense Engine Service starts, these services will be available. Back at the command prompt enter nssm edit QlikSenseEngineService. Go to the "Dependencies" tab and add RserveService and SSEtoRserveService, each on their own new lines under the already existing QlikSenseRepositoryService.

engineservice.png

All of you have to do now is restart the Qlik Sense Engine Service and you should be good to go.

18 Comments
prees959
Creator II
Creator II

will check these out.

Thank you for your time.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi , Can any help with SSEtoRserve

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, When I tried to  edit QlikSenseEngineService. I got error message "Cant Open Service! The specified service does not exists as an installed service.

Reference Section Key : "we can set the Qlik Sense Engine Service to depend on them" before last picture in description.

Please assist.

0 Likes
Francis_Kabinoff
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Akshay,

Are you using Qlik Sense server or Qlik Sense Desktop?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Francis,

Thanks for the response!!!

I am using Qlik Sense Desktop April 2018(qliksensedesktop:12.16.2) inside AWS(Amazon Work Space) which has  Windows 7 enterprise edition 64 bit OS.

Please let me know if you need further info.

0 Likes
Francis_Kabinoff
Former Employee
Former Employee

That's why you cant find the QlikSenseEngineService its a service for Qlik Sense server

0 Likes
asparagus
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi,

has someone tried to connect an external "R-Studio Server" (not a classical R-Server)?

We are using R Studio Server and I'f possible I don't want to install a seperate R Server.

Best regards

Thomas

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the desktop version can be tested using the R analysis and is it going to help to test another module also? The thing is that I have been trying it for some time and also connected my printer driver to make the implementation different with that. But it did not support and then it showed Epson error code 0x97

0 Likes