Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
Anonymous
Not applicable

QlikView has many useful and sometimes underused functions that can make your life as a developer a lot easier. One of these is CONCAT(). This should not be confused with the CONCATENATE script keyword.

In its simplest form, CONCAT() is used to string together values/words/selections in to one string. However, it can be utilized in a number of ways to help you solve different problems.

All of the examples in this post are based on the data in the table below.....

concat data table.png

I have shown a few simple but useful examples below to hopefully help you in your everyday QlikView development!

Simple String Concatenation

As mentioned earlier, the function lets you string together a list of values. These values can be hard coded or driven my selections/data.

=CONCAT(MyColumn,',')

=CONCAT(DISTINCT MyColumn,',')

This simple concat statement would string together all of the possible values from the column MyColumn. You may wish to add the DISTINCT keyword. This would ensure that each value is only displayed once in the string.

ABC,DEF,GHI,JKL,MNO,PQR,STU,VWX

When using a simple concat, you have the option to add a sort weight to the function to order the string values by a column of your choice. In the example below, I have added the date column to sort the values…..

=CONCAT(MyColumn, ',', Date)

Result: JKL,VWX,GHI,ABC,STU,PQR,MNO,DEF

Concat() within an expression/set statement

There are occasions when you want to pass a selection of values to a set statement. To do this I would need to add some single quotes to the string so that the CONCAT() function returns e.g. 'JKL','VWX'. But you cannot have the single quotes as they are, since they then would be interpreted when the Concat is evaluated instead of when the set expression is evaluated. Instead I use the Chr() function:

=CONCAT(Chr(39)&MyColumn&Chr(39),',')

I can  then  pass this concat statement to the inside of an expression…

=Sum({<MyColumn={$(=CONCAT(Chr(39)&MyColumn&Chr(39),','))}>} Value)

In most instances, this technique would be used where data islands are present. It lets me pass values to an expression that will not affect any part of the data model as the data island table is not joined to it.

Concat() in the Script

Concat can also be utilised in the script to let you convert multiple rows in to one single column value, just as any other aggregation.

Remembering the source data we have earlier in the blog. The result of script side CONCAT can be seen below...

concatscript result.png

Using Rank() to influence the Concat()

When you start to utilise other function in conjunction with concat() you can start to achieve to clever results. In this example, I have used Rank() to grab the top 3 performers (based on Value) and string them together.

=CONCAT(IF(aggr(Rank(sum(Value)),MyColumn)<=3,MyColumn),',')

Result: ABC,MNO,STU

So as you can see, there are a number of uses for CONCAT(). Let's if you can find more!

For more information, please refer to the Technical Brief here.

ABY.

4 Comments
matt_crowther
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Adam,

I'm too a lover of Concat() and all it's stringy goodness. I've used it in the below example with Match() to drive the highlighting / fading of bars in a bar chart according to the whether a particular month is selected or not in a similar way to Tableau.

Concat Highlights.PNG

Basically if the month is in a concat() of the currently selected months it gets coloured Dark Green if not it's faded Green and therefore allows data to be isolated but still see how it compares to the wider dataset.

A full outline can be found here: http://qvdesign.wordpress.com/2012/02/24/different-ways-to-interact-display-information-with-bar-cha...

All the best,

Matt - QVDesign

@QlikviewBI

0 Likes
Or
MVP
MVP

Interesting, Matthew - I'll have to look at that and see how it compares to my own take on the matter (using alt states - sample is available in the official QV demos). I think there's quite a few situations where your method is going to work better than mine, so hopefuly this will be a nice complement to what I'm already doing.

A couple of interesting points on Concat() in the original post, too - thanks, Adam. One thing that's missing for my money is using Concat() to pass selections between two versions of the same field (e.g. Billed Customer and Ship-to Customer).

0 Likes
ecolomer
Master II
Master II

Thank's for sharing

0 Likes
vireshkolagimat
Creator III
Creator III

thank you much for the information.

0 Likes