Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

One of the strengths of QlikView is its search engine. With it, you can find pieces of information in a fraction of a second and select the found field values. But how is the search defined? And where can the search be used?

Obviously, a search is defined by the search string that you enter when you search for something. But there are several different ways a search string can be interpreted. See for instance the picture below: In the normal search to the left you have a different result set from what you get in the wildcard search.

search h.png

The logic is the following:

• Normal search
    The search string is matched against the beginning of every word in the field value. Normal search is used only in interactive searches.
  • Wildcard search
    If the search string contains a wild card or the search string is used in a programmatic search (e.g. in a Set Analysis expression), a wildcard search is made instead of a normal search. This means a strict, case insensitive, match between the search string and the field values, where the only way of representing unknown characters is explicit use of wild cards.
  • Numeric search
    If the search string begins with ‘<’ or ‘>’, a numeric comparison is made. E.g. ‘>=1000’. Only values that fulfill the numeric requirement will be matched.
  • Expression search
    If the search string begins with an equals sign ‘=’, an expression search is made. E.g. ‘=Sum(Sales)>1000’. Then an aggregation is made for each value in the field, and a match is found if the expression is true. This means that you can make a selection in one field based on an aggregation in another field.
  • Fuzzy search
    If the search string begins with ‘~’, a fuzzy search is made. This means that all field values are ranked according to similarity and the top one will be selected when you hit return.
  • Compound search
    Using a compound search, you can express more complicated search conditions with logical operators. Use brackets and ‘&’ or ‘|’, e.g. ‘(California|Nevada)’.

search num.png

Hence, how the search string is interpreted depends only on which characters it contains. The settings in the list box properties do not affect the evaluation. The "Default Search Mode" only affects how the initial search string is created.

Further, you can use the search string in a number of different places, not just in the search area in the user interface: You can also use it in Set analysis, in actions, in bookmarks, in API calls, etc.

In principle, you can combine any search string with any search place. There are however some anomalies and exceptions. For example, you cannot use normal search or fuzzy search in programmatic searches and you cannot use the advanced search modes in the Qlik Sense global search.

Type and place2.png

The bookmark deserves a special mention. If a search is made and the resulting selection is stored in a bookmark, the bookmark remembers the search string and not the selection. This means that if new values appear when the script is run, they may be selected by the bookmark, even though they didn’t exist when the bookmark was created.

HIC

Further reading related to this topic:

Text searches

Search - But what shall you find?

The Expression Search

63 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great post!

I am building variables to use against AutoCalendar in Qlik Sense.

For example eYTD, eMTD, eMonth, eJ (max date) using a parameter ($1) which would be the date field.

So the use would be for example

$(eMTD(Date)) or $(eMTD(BuyingDate)) in the same data model depending on the wish of the user/dev.

The fact is sometimes the data model has :

* BuyingDate formatted (DD/MM/YYYY for example)

* Date not formatted (num)

I would use then sum({<$(eJ(Date))>} Sales)

My question is:

I was hoping to check against the numerical value of the date using something like that:

[$1]={$(=max([1]))}

or [$1]={"$(=max([1]))"}

or [$1]={"$(>=$(=max([1]))<=$(=max([1])))"}

It looks like none of the above would work when the date is formatted... and of course, if I had the Date() around it doesn't work for the numeric only field.

Would you have any idea how I should proceed?

The final resolution would be something like adding num($1) as [DateNum] in the autocalendar but I would find it strange.

I can send some testing app if needed.

0 Likes
AnnaAstahhova
Contributor
Contributor

hi, could you please advise to me, why next search is not working for me? (>-100<0l>0<100)

0 Likes
AnnaAstahhova
Contributor
Contributor

sorry, I found my mistake, it is working fine

0 Likes