Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
Jennell_McIntire
Employee
Employee

The visualizations and charts in QlikView are dynamic and always changing based on the user’s selections and interactions with the data.  That being said I rarely find the need to print the visualizations and take them with me because I know that the data may be refreshed thus changing the visualizations and charts.  But sometimes there is a need for the user to be able to print a static report of what they see in QlikView to share with someone or refer to at a later time. QlikView’s Report Editor provides users with an easy way to capture the QlikView objects in a formatted report that can printed.  Reports can be created by simply dragging objects from the user interface to the report sheet.

user interface.pngarrow.pngreport sheet.png
User InterfaceReport sheet

Simply drag the object from the user interface and place them anywhere on the report.  Objects can be moved and resized in the report and arranged as you see fit.  When I need to add objects to the report that are not a part of the user interface such as an image for the cover sheet or a logo, I will add the object to a hidden sheet in QlikView and format it as I would like it to appear in the report. Then I can drag it to the report. There is also the ability to add an image, text object or current selection box directly from the Report Editor if you prefer.  In either case, static reports that are nicely formatted can be created in QlikView for users who prefer to have a printout of their visual QlikView experience.

Check out this technical brief for step-by-step details of how the reports were added to the Asset Management demo using the Report Editor.

Jennell

48 Comments
Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

Hello Jennell McIntire,

I´ve been using the Report Editor from QlikView since 2010 and in my humble opinion this is the weakest part of QV.

Formatted reporting is very harsh to do into this wonderful platform.

Maybe future versions could improve this part.

jcarpenter9
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Clicking the "technical brief" link throws this error for me:

Access to this place or content is restricted. If you think this is a mistake, please contact your administrator or the person who directed you here.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I agree with Clever Anjos, it might be better not to speak to much about the reporting capabilities of qlikview. I never drag and drop charts from user interface to the report section. I always copy them on a hidden chart, adjust everything there is to adjust to might it QV report ready and then hope that the layout looks at least a little bit ok.

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

Same to me. I´m always cloning objects and making adjusts to get a better layout.

0 Likes
Not applicable

This thread is quite timely for me. I was asked to create a Report for our sales folks to print and hand to customers in meetings.  I have not yet attempted to play with the Report feature in QlikView.

0 Likes
Jennell_McIntire
Employee
Employee

Sorry about that - you should be able to access the technical brief now.

Jennell

0 Likes
pablolabbe
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Technical Brief is great. An easy step by step showing how to build a good looking report.

0 Likes
pablolabbe
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Qliktech is aware of the limits of the report designer. They point Nprinting and CIA Report as enhanced alternatives, but I think they are competitors for Qlikview Publisher + PDF Distribution" products or not ?

Not applicable

me too have spend a lot of time in develop the PDF report. and have stop using it , because it is not very smart. still prefer to directly view report from QV.

0 Likes
kalyandg
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

hi Jennel,

i need to print the user name in the report..such as if user right clicks on any report, there one option(Print as PDF). While printing the report into pdf, it must show the user name of qlikview in the report. I have tried using such as "'REPORT PRINTED BY ' & qvuser() ",  so it will print names according in the license details.

But i need the above as ....
if user has installed QVServer...and assigned 3 CALS, if any one of the defined user logs into application, it must obtain the user name and print the report as said above, but the name should bring from the QVS user list.

Is it possible?

Kindly help...

Thanks,

Kalyan

0 Likes