Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
Jennell_McIntire
Employee
Employee

The visualizations and charts in QlikView are dynamic and always changing based on the user’s selections and interactions with the data.  That being said I rarely find the need to print the visualizations and take them with me because I know that the data may be refreshed thus changing the visualizations and charts.  But sometimes there is a need for the user to be able to print a static report of what they see in QlikView to share with someone or refer to at a later time. QlikView’s Report Editor provides users with an easy way to capture the QlikView objects in a formatted report that can printed.  Reports can be created by simply dragging objects from the user interface to the report sheet.

user interface.pngarrow.pngreport sheet.png
User InterfaceReport sheet

Simply drag the object from the user interface and place them anywhere on the report.  Objects can be moved and resized in the report and arranged as you see fit.  When I need to add objects to the report that are not a part of the user interface such as an image for the cover sheet or a logo, I will add the object to a hidden sheet in QlikView and format it as I would like it to appear in the report. Then I can drag it to the report. There is also the ability to add an image, text object or current selection box directly from the Report Editor if you prefer.  In either case, static reports that are nicely formatted can be created in QlikView for users who prefer to have a printout of their visual QlikView experience.

Check out this technical brief for step-by-step details of how the reports were added to the Asset Management demo using the Report Editor.

Jennell

48 Comments
mr_barriesmith
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

The tech brief is fairly good but there are some points that give quality reports from QlikView.

- When you drop a QlikView sheet object onto the report page the default for the report page item is "fill with aspect".  This is actually a problem because if you move the item, QlikView will try to resize and in doing so it will adjust the object and you end up with fuzzy results.  Solve this by using Item Settings to set the fill setting to "Clip" - then if you place a 9 point Arial it will remain 9 point Arial.

- You can drag drop multiple objects onto the page.  So use some sheet objects to mark margins for your page size on a QlikView sheet: design on the QlikView sheet and drag the result onto the page.

A little practice and you can create neat solutions.

mikecrengland
Creator III
Creator III

I'm having trouble with the conditional show. It works fine in the desktop client, but when I publish the document, it's back in the list. Any thoughts on why that might be happening?

0 Likes
mr_barriesmith
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi Mike.  I am fairly certain if you check the release notes for your server version you'll see that this is a known bug.  I have not caught up on my reading of 11.2 SR3 or SR4 and so I don't know if it is resolved.

0 Likes
mikecrengland
Creator III
Creator III

Thanks, Adam.

0 Likes
Not applicable

The report writer is a little clumsy, but as mentioned by others the best option is to clone the objects and custome format them for the report. It takes a little time but when it works the customer satisfaction is great!

A good idea is to zoom upto 400% on the report when trying to align corners and get the pixels perfect.

shelvinpatel
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Mike,

Which version of Qlikview are you using?  I have noticed that the conditional show of the report only hides report from report menu via plugin, not in ajax in v10.  I have read in v11.2 (I think SR2) release note that this issue has now resolved in ajax as well.  When I spoke to QlikTech support, they have no plan to applied this fix in previous versions.

I have used Qlikview report editor extensively in my last assignment as per client requirement not great but can do some good report which require lot of time in formatting and customising object accordingly.  I always create such objects in hidden tabs per report so easy to manage.

Qlikview is a analytical tool and therefore QlikTech may not provide more functionality in report editor as it may not be strategical option.  It's all about click and view!

Thanks, Shelvin

0 Likes
mikecrengland
Creator III
Creator III

Thanks Shelvin. We are on v11.0 SR2 so it sounds like we're out of luck until we upgrade. I'm also using a hidden tab for the report objects. It's a somewhat frustrating work-around, but it helps a lot.

I half agree with the distinction of QlikView being an analytical tool. The issue we run into is that the licensing cost is too high to roll out dashboards to our field reps. Our managers need a way to disseminate their findings and the report editor is the logical tool.

0 Likes
shelvinpatel
Contributor III
Contributor III

Mike, I had slightly different reason with my last client.  License cost was always a saving but also executives want pdf report in their emails as they are always on move, not the best approach but can't argue with executives.

I have reviewed nPrinting and it does report distribution brilliantly and they are keep improving.  The latest version allows to build html email with key kpi figures from Qlikview directly, no attachment.  I could do much better job then publisher and pdf distributor for single server/location scenario, just headache of additional application to manage.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We still have a lot of users who rely on static, printed reports, especially within the Finance department. The lack of a decent report writer has hindered our ability to deploy QV to the entire Enterprise. If they can do something about this weak area we may actually be able to dump Microsoft SSRS and Crystal.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi Brain

Well said. May be qlik tech refuse to improve the report writer just because they worry user just make use of QV to generate report and dont need to purchase additional license.

Another reasons I can think of is they prefer their customers to stick with the QV to view the report ditectly from QV so they can sell more license.

So conclusion is to sell more license.

Paul Yeo

Skype paulyeo_thai

0 Likes