Skip to main content
ArturoMuñoz
Employee
Employee

One of my personal favs and long time awaited features that ships with Qlik Sense 3.0 is the new time-aware charts.

We could simply describe it as continuous scale in x-axis line chart but it’s much more than that, let me show it to you.

Before the introduction of Qlik Sense 3.0 Time-aware charts, line charts displaying a time dimension in the X-axis would show a portion of the line at a reasonable scale although the complete sequence was still visible in the mini-chart at the bottom of the object.

time-aware.gif

Time-aware charts are visualizations that use a continuous scale to provide a complete and accurate view of time-based data. That is, when you enable continuous scaling on the x-axis in a chart with date fields, data points are separated from each other by a distance relative to their associated time. As well, the axis labels are evenly separated whether or not there is data for that point and the chart view is compressed to avoid scrolling.

You can zoom in, zoom out or modify the size of the visible window that appears over the mini-chart at the bottom of the object to get a closer look into the data. As you can see in the animation above, content gets immediately adjusted showing the relevant x-axes label information at any zoom level.

selections.gif

Selections are smart as well, when browsing the chart at a yearly level any selection in the chart will perform a selection in the year derived field, but when a more detailed view of the data is visible, for example at day level, selections will be performed in day (derived) field in the data model.

How to get it working?

Time-aware charts needs, of course, a time dimension to work. Good thing is since Qlik Sense 1.1 we can declare and derive time fields in our data model. Read Jennell’s blog post to learn how to do it. Alternatively, if you are loading data using the data load wizard, then chances are Qlik Sense will automatically detect your field(s) containing a date and it will do the rest for you.

Once you have your time dimension working the next step will be pretty straightforward, as shown in the animation above you just need to activate it by checking the box “Use continuous scale”.

Thanks,

Arturo

5 Comments
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Perfect candidate for something that should be integrated into QlikView. But of course it won't be.

Or
MVP
MVP

I think improved time-based handling has been an enhancement request since the previous decade. We're supposed to be getting a significant feature release of QV later this year - hopefully this is one of the things that will be added.

0 Likes
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Riiiiight. Just like v12 was supposed to be significant 🙂 One can hope though.

0 Likes
mvitalyte
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

What are the requirements for date field in "Time-aware Charts"? 

Can I use any date field in my data model (for example date field from master calendar table) ? Do I need to tag it somehow?

Or must I use declare and derive functionality for date fields?

0 Likes
ArturoMuñoz
Employee
Employee

You have two options, or you use the data manager to upload your data and let it to profile your data to find dates, or if you want to remain in control of the process you should derive dates from the origin date fields in the script. Please check Qlik Sense – Date & Time

0 Likes