Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Sorting to preserve a chronological order

I loaded an .xls file into QV. One of the fields contains dates in the format DD/MM/YYYY which must be sorted in QV so that, for example, January entries appear on the top-most row whereas December entries appear at the bottom. However, after sorting, March entries appear between July and August entries. Most of the field nevertheless has been properly sorted. Please advise on how to sort every entry in the chronological order described above.

5 Replies
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

Sounds like something going wrong with the date formats when reading the file. Can you see the same problem in a simple QVW file that reads the same data source?

Make sure you read the date with an explicit conversion, such as

Date(Date#(myField, 'DD/MM/YYYY'))

Are some of the dates left aligned in a list box - this would imply that these values are strings, not dates.

For more detailed diagnosis I suggest that you post a sample of the source data and QVW that illustrate the problem.

HTH

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

Thank you sir. An example of the problematic field in question after sorting appears below:

Not applicable
Author

Capture.PNG

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

For more detailed diagnosis I suggest that you post a sample of the source data and QVW file that illustrate the problem.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

Thank you again. Due to preservation of confidentiality requirements, I'm forbidden from supplying these items. I will follow your earlier advice and see if that works.