cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Dissolve

I'm trying to figure out how to dissolve collections of zip codes into custom polygons. Here's what my settings are set to:

Dissolve1.png

I've formatted the zip codes as 'XXXXX,US:XPC' and the custom area field is named "Area." The script appears to begin processing everything OK, according to the log file:

Dissolve2.png

Then it errors out: QVX_SYNTAX_ERROR: *Failed to process query: Failed to create dataset Dissolvedef: Malformed result from server, could not parse.

We're using an on-prem GeoAnalytics server, and the query is happening against GeoAnalytics Plus. I've double checked that all zip codes are valid 5 digit numbers, and there are no null records in the table. Help please bps‌?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Hi VLad,

I would check the memory settings on your internal QGA Server.

Programs>Configure Service>Qlik GeoAnalytics Server Properties>Java>Maximum memory pool

16GB is recommended.

Thanks,

Patric

View solution in original post

9 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II
Author

After much banging my head against the wall, I was able to come up with an imperfect solution. It seems that the problem appears after the server has been given a certain amount of data to process, even if the processing should have already been completed.

The error I mentioned above would happen when I tried to process all "Areas" at once. I ended up making a loop and performing a dissolve for one Area at a time and storing each result to a QVD. After a certain number of Areas (usually 3 - 4), it would hang, the CPU for the GA service would jump around between 35 and 45%, but no results would ever be returned. Once I was sure that it was hung, I would have to kill the service from the task manager (killing from services MMC wasn't working), then start it back up again, and resume my loop from whatever iteration it failed on. Rinse and repeat. Very painful process, but it did end up working. Fortunately, our Areas are only redefined once per quarter.

bpv
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hello Vlad

If you have an on-prem GeoAnalytics Server you should not need to use GeoAnalytics Plus but should instead configure the connector to use the Server. The description you give where it does not reply sounds a bit like it might run in to some memory problems. The server should be configured to have more memory than GeoAnalytics Plus.

It is also possible to configure the amount of memory used for GeoAnalytics Plus.

In the file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Qlik\Custom Data\QvIdevioConnector\IdevioGeoAnalyticsConnector.exe.config change the

<add key="geoAnalyticMemory" value="4096" />

value to 8192.

Note however. If you have a 32-bit Java-version installed on your computer it is limited to 2GB memory for the process that might not be enough. In that case it could be worth checking if it possible to upgrade to a 64-bit version of Java.

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II
Author

Thanks, but no dice. First of all, the default value of that setting was just "" and not "4096". But I decided to try setting it to 8192 per your advice, and then restarting the GA service. After waiting several minutes, the service still hadn't gotten to what I know is the correct baseline memory usage as seen in Task Manager, and the admin website wasn't being served up. I stopped it, set the setting back to "", and restarted the service, whereupon things went back to "normal" (i.e. same problem as above, bypassed with my hack workaround). Running 64-bit Java. Connection string is pointing locally, you're correct:

CUSTOM CONNECT TO "Provider=IdevioGeoAnalyticsConnector.exe;Server=local;Server2=local;XUserId=KZcDKfC;XPassword=DfdObIA;";

bpv
Former Employee
Former Employee

That is strange since that setting is affecting the GeoAnalytics Plus only, not the GeoAnalytics Enterprise server.

Could you please try again and you do not need to restart the GA Service. Just close the Load script editor in QV and reload the data.

Also I recommend that you try to change the connection string to point to your GeoAnalytics Enterprise Server instead of local. Local indicate that it should use the local GeoAnalytics Plus.

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II
Author

Yeah, no luck, same problem. I left it alone for an hour this time, just to see if it would ever come back with a dissolved result following a freeze. It did not. RAM increased at a trickle throughout the hour (at a rate of about 4MB per minute), and CPU usage stayed between 35 and 45 percent.

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II
Author

No surprise, but I can conclusively say it's definitely something with our server settings. I changed the connection string to ga.qlikcloud.com and it worked just fine.

Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Hi VLad,

I would check the memory settings on your internal QGA Server.

Programs>Configure Service>Qlik GeoAnalytics Server Properties>Java>Maximum memory pool

16GB is recommended.

Thanks,

Patric

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II
Author

YES!! That did it 🙂 For my reference, was this documented anywhere?

Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Yes,

See section 3.1 in the GeoAnalyticsServerInstallationGuide-June2018.pdf

Available on the Qlik GeoAnalytics section at the Qlik download site.

Thanks,

Patric