Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
did
Employee
Employee

EU as a single area in Qlik Geo Analytics

Hello community,

I was wondering whether there is a way to perform the European Union as single area using the Area Layer in Qlik Geo Analytics?

Any hint is very much appreciated.

Denis

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jonas_Linden1
Support
Support

Hi Denis,

Yes you can easily create a custom region using the Location Named Areas from a predefined table with countries. Please note that you don't need the geometries for the countries, just the names.

As an example I created an Excel file with the 28 EU countries and run the Dissolve operation with the following parameters.

Dissolve_parameters.png

Maybe you would like to create a drill down from EU to country with a master item Region to Country as well. This can then be added as an area layer and you can be clicking on a country zoom into the chosen country. 

Table of Countries and Region:

CountriesRegion
AustriaEU
BelgiumEU
BulgariaEU
CroatiaEU
CyprusEU
Czech RepublicEU
DenmarkEU
EstoniaEU
FinlandEU
FranceEU
GermanyEU
GreeceEU
HungaryEU
IrelandEU
ItalyEU
LatviaEU
LithuaniaEU
LuxembourgEU
MaltaEU
NetherlandsEU
PolandEU
PortugalEU
RomaniaEU
SlovakiaEU
SloveniaEU
SpainEU
SwedenEU
United KingdomEU

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Jonas_Linden1
Support
Support

Hi Denis,

Yes you can easily create a custom region using the Location Named Areas from a predefined table with countries. Please note that you don't need the geometries for the countries, just the names.

As an example I created an Excel file with the 28 EU countries and run the Dissolve operation with the following parameters.

Dissolve_parameters.png

Maybe you would like to create a drill down from EU to country with a master item Region to Country as well. This can then be added as an area layer and you can be clicking on a country zoom into the chosen country. 

Table of Countries and Region:

CountriesRegion
AustriaEU
BelgiumEU
BulgariaEU
CroatiaEU
CyprusEU
Czech RepublicEU
DenmarkEU
EstoniaEU
FinlandEU
FranceEU
GermanyEU
GreeceEU
HungaryEU
IrelandEU
ItalyEU
LatviaEU
LithuaniaEU
LuxembourgEU
MaltaEU
NetherlandsEU
PolandEU
PortugalEU
RomaniaEU
SlovakiaEU
SloveniaEU
SpainEU
SwedenEU
United KingdomEU
did
Employee
Employee
Author

Hi Jonas,

thank you for your feedback!

As far as I see it works in the following two cases:

- to build one area-group consisting of several countries (for exmaple: EU and its member states)

- to build few area-groups consisting of several AADM1-regions within one country (for example US and it counties)

Do you have any idea how to make it work in the following case:

- to build few area-groups consisting of several countries (for exmaple: EU, North & South America, Asia & Pacific)?

I didn't manage.

Jonas_Linden1
Support
Support

Hi again Denis,

Dissolving multiple geometries (countries in your example) into multiple custom dissolved areas works fine. As an example I added North America (with US and Canada) to the EU excel definition. I attach the excel sheet and an example Sense app with dissolved regions (EU and NA). I also added a drill down group and made a quick visualization with the pop up showing name of region and when choosing a region name of country when hovering over the map. You can see how this is done by choosing edit and go to Appearance/Info Bubble.

In order to reload the data you need to make sure the name of the GeoAnalytics Connector is the same and change the URL to where you save the excel sheet.

All the best,

Jonas

Jonas_Linden1
Support
Support

And here comes the Excel file:-)

did
Employee
Employee
Author

Hi Jonas,

it works - great post!