Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

[GeoAnalytics] Global Cities Problem

Hi,

I am trying to make an app with a global route guide.

I am trying to make line show where a shipment comes from (Origin City) and where it arrives (Destination City) and thickness of line depends on weights delivered to Destination.

There are no line getting drawn on the map. It seems the way I am the cities are wrong. Could you please direct me on this?

patricn‌, decartres‌, stalwar1

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Hi Pat,

First make a dimension for the lines, that controls how many lines you want to show.

In your case, route id could be:

=[Origin City] & ',' & [Origin Country] & ' -> ' & [Destination City] & ',' & [Destination Country]

Then set a from and to location. City names are ambiguous so providing country info will improve accuracy:

=[Origin City] & ',' & [Origin Country]

=[Destination City] & ',' & [Destination Country]

Some of the cities were spelled differently from the builtin location database. So they were remapped them using the manual remap field in the location tab of the layers. A better approach would be to correct the source data. To get mismatch info pls set the map window properties->Appearance->Interaction and Controls>Log level to "Debug".

See the attached app for more info.

Thanks,

Patric

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Hi Pat,

First make a dimension for the lines, that controls how many lines you want to show.

In your case, route id could be:

=[Origin City] & ',' & [Origin Country] & ' -> ' & [Destination City] & ',' & [Destination Country]

Then set a from and to location. City names are ambiguous so providing country info will improve accuracy:

=[Origin City] & ',' & [Origin Country]

=[Destination City] & ',' & [Destination Country]

Some of the cities were spelled differently from the builtin location database. So they were remapped them using the manual remap field in the location tab of the layers. A better approach would be to correct the source data. To get mismatch info pls set the map window properties->Appearance->Interaction and Controls>Log level to "Debug".

See the attached app for more info.

Thanks,

Patric

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Appreciate the response as always. Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi patricn‌,

What is the best way to get get the list in Excel format of the built-in location database so that I could fix the misspelled locations?

Thanks.

Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Hi Pat,

Copy mismatches by clicking on the icon in the upper left corner.

Log level in map window needs to be "Info"

copy.png

The text will be all in one row, to get it nicely in to excel, do:

Paste text into Excel, all will be in one cell

On Excel choose "Data\Text to Columns, Delimited, colon." Now each entry is place separate columns on one row

Select and copy the new cells

Select a new cell, Paste Special, choose Transpose. Now each entry are in separate cells in same column

or replace : within newline in Notepad++

Thanks,

Patric

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi patricn‌,

Thank you for the quick response. I apologize because my question was wrong.

I was wondering on how to get the list of valid cities in Excel format.

We are planning to do like a lookup to replace our current cities to valid cities of Qlik, so that we are able to plot all the cities.

Thank you.

Appreciate your help as always.

Thanks,

Pat

Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Hi Pat,

Sorry I misunderstood. The location db is too big to download as a whole.

You can make extracts using the Qlik GeoAnalytics "Load" operation

Check out the load example at https://bi.idevio.com/geoanalytics/geoanalytics-connector-examples

And the documentation https://bi.idevio.com/wp-content/qlik/geoanalytics/releases/IdevioGeoAnalyticsConnector-5.12.1/doc/g...

QGA Base has a limit of 50K lookups, QGA Enterprise 250K.

We use the most common placename together with aliases if present. I normally do a web search a pick the most common spelling, usually using the local or English charset.

Thanks,

Patric

mireyamunoz
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hi Everyone,

bps‌ Patric, I feel a little bit confused because when we offered QGA Enterprise, we told customers that is unlimited, as the Comparison of Qlik GeoAnalytics Offering said, so what we should tell them instead?

Regards.

Mireya Muñoz

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Patric bps‌,

Thank you. Looking at the example. The load statement had something like this:

[CongressionalDistricts]:

SQL SELECT [GEOID], [Geometry] FROM Load(dataset='CongressionalDistricts')

DATASOURCE CongressionalDistricts GEOFILE url='http://www2.census.gov/geo/tiger/TIGER2016/CD/tl_2016_us_cd115.zip', keyField='GEOID', type='auto', expectedGeomType='auto', encoding='', crs='EPSG:4269'

;

My question is since we have a global requirement, what is supposed to be my url for global cities?

My idea create a table per country so that I would be able to map our current cities to qlik geoanalytics cities.

Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Hi,
I have posted an article on how to improve location lookups that can help in cases like this:
https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-GeoAnalytics-Documents/How-to-improve-the-lookup-accuracy/ta-p/15...

Thanks,
Patric