Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Rolling up Postcode Area's into regions

Hi,

We have just got a trial licence for Idevio maps. Just a quick question to get us started. I have a list of UK Postcodes which we have rolled up to 2 digit postcodes eg. NN14 1RW would be "NN". What we then do with these 2 digit postcodes in roll the up into regions. How is this done in Idevio maps? I've tried using a drilldown from "Zone name" to 2 digit postcode but I am getting an invalid lookup error on 12 of the zone names. Obviously not sure why this is happening either.

ideally what we want to do is have the Zone show first, then postcode 2, then postcode 4 so in the above example "NN14". Any help on how we do this would be fantastic.

Many thanks,

Nick

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Ah - I see - if i am understanding it right, I think what you want to do is what is called a Dissolve, I think. There is an example here:

Qlik Sense Guides & Examples « bi.idevio.com

See attached video-snip as well.

I have not got around to creating a video on that yet, but it is on the list.

But it looks like they are defining the data like this in an Area Layer:

if(SalesArea='North', Blue(),

if(SalesArea='East', Blue(),

if(SalesArea='West', Green(),

if(SalesArea='South', Yellow(), brown()))))

Check out the .qvf and let me know how you do.

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Regards,

Michael Tarallo (@mtarallo) | Twitter

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Nicholas - welcome! I don't have an exact answer for you just yet as this requires some additional troubleshooting, I will make sure a GeoAnalytics person sees this. In the meantime check out this video: Qlik GeoAnalytics - Troubleshooting a location lookup found here: Qlik GeoAnalytics Getting Started Videos.

There is also a video here that shows creating a drilldown: Qlik GeoAnalytics - Creating a Drill-down Area Map

Perhaps we can see what is failing and this might bring more clarity.

patricn

Let us know how you do.

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Regards,

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply, I have already watched your video on the drilldowns which is great and shows exactly what I want to be able to show. I'm not sure the best way to describe my issue. I have list of the the 2 digit UK postcodes and these are then split into our custom regions for example the postcodes CH, WA, WN, L, M, OL, CW would ideally show in the first layer as "North West", you could then drilldown into "North West" and see the applicable postcodes, then a third drilldown would be available where you could see the 4 digit postcodes in the 2 digit postcode area for example selecting CH, you could then see CH65, CH66, CH2, CH3 etc which you could then select to view actual locations with more detailed information about those locations?

At the minute the only region that seems to be working of our 13 is "Scotland" maybe because Qlik is picking this up as a country name and it is not unique to our regions. I believe I may have to create a polygon. I have been sent one by our Qlik providers in the UK but I'm not really sure how to open it to see what's inside it as it is a QVD file. We have been told it contains UK postcode boundaries which can then be rolled up into regions but I'm unsure as to how this is done.

Thanks again,

Nick

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Ah - I see - if i am understanding it right, I think what you want to do is what is called a Dissolve, I think. There is an example here:

Qlik Sense Guides & Examples « bi.idevio.com

See attached video-snip as well.

I have not got around to creating a video on that yet, but it is on the list.

But it looks like they are defining the data like this in an Area Layer:

if(SalesArea='North', Blue(),

if(SalesArea='East', Blue(),

if(SalesArea='West', Green(),

if(SalesArea='South', Yellow(), brown()))))

Check out the .qvf and let me know how you do.

Regards,

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Michael,

I will pass onto our Qlik guy in the morning and revert back asap.

Thanks,

Nick