cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dalton_Ruer
Support
Support

It's not an Ugly Duckling

UglyDuckling.jpgI recently worked with others within Qlik to analyze a massive amount of data from ClinicalTrials.Gov using Teradata Aster.

One of the many analytical functions we ran calculated the probability of success for active trials based on numbers of factors.

As the Qlik Dork I naturally wanted to visualize the numbers in a way that was stunning. But to my dismay as I created the Scatter Diagram it was far below my expectations. In many ways I thought "wow that's an ugly duckling."

It was only after I dug in further did I realize that this chart was no ugly duckling, it was in fact a magnificent and incredibly intelligent swan.

As we progress forward in our industry in our ability to obtain and consume massive amounts of data our perspectives are going to have to change in terms of what is beautiful and what is ugly. By nature Qlik Sense charts are built to be able to display massive amounts of data. The question many of us face is "are we ready to behold their beauty or are we going to cast them aside because they don't look like what we've been using for many years?"

I'm really hopeful that this post isn't just me blabbering. That others will use to share and collaborate on their experiences.

What massive sets of data have you displayed?

How did your end users initially take it?

Any lessons you've learned in displaying thousands of data points instead of dozens?

What extensions have you begin using and how are you training your end users internally to understand them?

2 Replies
Tanalex
Creator II
Creator II

Great analogy and another great post! Keep 'em coming QlikDork!

Dalton_Ruer
Support
Support
Author

Thanks Michael. With 7 grandchildren I have a lot of Disney songs, nursery rhymes and fairy tales running through my head so as long as folks like you don't mind the silliness, I will keep being me.

PS - Can you guess how I plan to use the song "Pink Elephants on Parade" from Dumbo for a post?