Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jladicos
Contributor
Contributor

Tracking a users path through a Qlik Sense app

Hi there - 

First, apologies if this is not the right place to post this question.

I'm looking for any specific documentation on how to I might be able to use the existing monitoring apps (or server log data) to understand how our customers are using our Qlik app.

For a user "session" I'd like to be able to see

• what sheets did they open?
  • how much time did they spend per sheet?
  • which visualizations did they Qlik on (bonus points if I can identify specifics of what they did)

I've tried using the Sessions Monitor (including version 7.15.0) and I feel like it gets me part way there, but I'm baffled by some of the data.

I frequently see multiple back-to-back sessions lasting a few seconds or a minute (based on Session start and Session end times). I can't seem to find any documentation on how these session times are calculated.

I also feel like I'm missing context of how some of the session data relates to each other. I created a table containing the following fields:

• User Name
  • App Object Name
  • App Object Type
  • Session start
  • Session end

I thought I could use this table to see which sheets a user visits. However, what I found was that for a session where I opened our app, and clicked on only two sheets, my table showed ALL of the sheets in the app.

I've searched through the community looking for more details and I've been pointed to some possible extensions including https://github.com/eapowertools/qs-governance-dashboard and https://qlikviewcookbook.com/tools/#squelch-taas-accordion-shortcode-content-4 which I will test, but I'm hoping there might be a document or other resource I've missed in my search.

Any help appreciated!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tyler_Waterfall
Employee
Employee

Latest Operations Monitor includes "Sheet Usage" sheet which tracks which sheets were accessed. To understand individual user sessions would require manually selecting a user session and seeing which sheets they use (sorry, not really built for this use case). Or, you could use the master items to create a new object which makes it easier to track this. Even just augment the existing table on Session Details to include Concat(distinct [Sheet Name]) (I believe) to see which sheets were accessed in each session.

App Object Name / Type comes from the QRS\app\full endpoint and represents the app objects within an app, not which objects a user actually clicked on or viewed. So, I expect for User A, it would show all the app objects in each app that the user opened, even if the user never accessed any sheets.
The latest version of Monitor Apps does not include object-level usage info.
This information is logged in Engine logging as of April 2018, but sheet objects are currently stored with Engine ObjectId (and no name/type), which makes it difficult to see which specific objects were accessed.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Tyler_Waterfall
Employee
Employee

Latest Operations Monitor includes "Sheet Usage" sheet which tracks which sheets were accessed. To understand individual user sessions would require manually selecting a user session and seeing which sheets they use (sorry, not really built for this use case). Or, you could use the master items to create a new object which makes it easier to track this. Even just augment the existing table on Session Details to include Concat(distinct [Sheet Name]) (I believe) to see which sheets were accessed in each session.

App Object Name / Type comes from the QRS\app\full endpoint and represents the app objects within an app, not which objects a user actually clicked on or viewed. So, I expect for User A, it would show all the app objects in each app that the user opened, even if the user never accessed any sheets.
The latest version of Monitor Apps does not include object-level usage info.
This information is logged in Engine logging as of April 2018, but sheet objects are currently stored with Engine ObjectId (and no name/type), which makes it difficult to see which specific objects were accessed.
jladicos
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks @Tyler_Waterfall I just found this update a couple of days ago, and it's much better than what we were looking at before.

I made a couple new dimensions so I can look at our customer apps and customer users and ignore usage on test apps and by our internal team.

I'm interested in diving deeper into the object usage, even if there is no name available. Can you share which fields I'd look at?

Tyler_Waterfall
Employee
Employee

Thanks!

At this point you have to go out to "power tools" to get object level auditing, like: qs-telemetry-dashboard