Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
martin_escobar
Contributor II
Contributor II

Accelerating Publishing task in NPrinting 17.6

Hi All,

I am new to this community so this is my first question/idea.

In our company we are using Nprinting (ver 17.6) and recently we created a general report for daily distribution in HTML so it can be embedded in the mail body. No problems there, it works as expected.

The Issue I came by is that the publishing task is taking on average 90 minutes.  The challenge I am facing (and probably some of you too) is how to accelearte the publishing task.

I have read some threads in this community talking about this problem and some good practices, so I want to share my own experience around this issue and a solution I found (not too elegant, but functional at the end)

As I mentioned, we have Nprinting 17.6 and QlikView 12.1 running together in a vMachine with 8vCPU and 32GB Ram.

The app for this report was connected to 2 Documents (Shop Floor and Supply) via Server. The first time I did this was directly to the documents and reloading the metadata took forever. After a few months and testing I learned that it is a good practice to have a separate document with only the objects being included in the Nprinting template. So I created new versions of our QV documents using Binary (Shop Floor Binary, and Supply Binary). The most notorious improvement with this change was reloading the Metadata.

I have 2 apps for the same report. The first app is called "HTML Report Live" and the second "HTML Report Test". The publishing task is performed to the live version that has server connections to the Binary reports. The test version has direct connections to the same documents. So my solution here was to change the connections in the live version to direct connections, and create triggers for reloading the metadata for both documents before publishing the report. This is taking overall 5 minutes total including the metadata for both documents and the HTML report publication. Big Improvement!! 

Still I am not very happy with this solution, NPrinting doesn't let you program tasks in cascade as the QMC, so each trigger has to be scheduled in different hours.

Any thoughts around this issue and the solution I have so far?

Best regards to All, !

Martín.

2 Replies
Josh_Berg_Support

Martin,

Are you doing a QVP call to your source QVW or are you doing a local connection?  The reason I ask is a QVP call has all the "heavy lifting" being done on the Qlikview Server whereas a local connection would have the work being done locally on the NPrinting Server.  If you're doing a QVP call and Qlikview is also performing resource-intensive reloads or other activities at the same time, it would be expected for your NP tasks to take longer to complete.

Also, your solution of making an NP-specific version of a QVW is a good one, I've seen that done with some other clients as well.  Make sure you're checking these QVWs for unsupported items as those could cause the publish time to increase.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Josh

Qlik Support

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

First of all Qlik NPriting 17.6 is a very old version. I strongly suggest to update to latest version (now June 2019) to benefit of all improvements, optimizations and bug fixes.

If you mean that Qlik NPrinting Server and QlikView Server are installed on the same computer? If yes please install them in two different computers. If with QlikView you means QlikView Desktop it is ok, it must be installed with a valid license on every Qlik NPrinting Engine computer.

About perfomances and sizing refer also to https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/June2019/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/Performance.ht...

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.