Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Obulreddy1
Contributor II
Contributor II

Adding null values as a filter along with other values for a field in NPrinting November 2019

Hi All,

I'm trying to add a null value in a filter along with other values for a field in NPrinting November 2019 version. Below is an example values for Division field:

Surgical, ,Diagnostics,Skeletal Health

I have a null value in between Surgical and Diagnostics values above which I wanted to add in the filters. Currently, I'm not able to add this null value in the Division filter due to which many of the records are being missed out when the final output is generated. 

I'm using a QlikView source connection with type as Server. And the filter values are full cached. 

Any ideas or pointers to resolve this issue are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Obulreddy

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Ok, since you are able to select it in QlikView it is not a Null() anymore. It is just empty string. such string can be created by putting "nothig" as '' (two single quotes with no character in between).

In NPrinting you need to choose the field you want this value to apply on and then under VALUES choose option "Evaluate value" and on the right hand side type ='' (being equal sign and two single quotes)

I just tested it and it worked

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

I think we should start from definition of a Null value and how it can be used in Qlik Sense or QlikView. 

If there is a column in Qlik data model (lets say there is a Country column) and if that column has some null values it is not possible to apply selection to show only Null values - ain't that right? Are you able direcly in QlikView apply selection to only show your null values? If you are I suggest you create a straight table and export it to excel. Then copy the value from excel and try to paste it into the filter value placeholder. (below explanation why)

Now - NPrinting filters are like Qlik selection. If you are unable to apply filter in Qlik you will not be able to create a filter in NPrinting.

Where does confusion come from?

What you are calling null values (possibly) in your data model can be actually an empty string, whitespace or space (for example chr(160) or CHR(32), those would be cached and depending on which one you could potentially have you should be able to use it. By exporting values to excel you should see if there is character representing your "null" and you can use it as a filter.

Summary:

If your value indeed is a true null value you will not be able to filter on it as you are not able to apply selection on null values in QlikView.

If your value is not a null but whitespace, you can export this character  from QlikView and paste as a filter value in NPrinting

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Obulreddy1
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Lech,

Thanks for the reply.

I could able to apply the selection for Null value in my Qlikview qvw. Please see attached screenshot and excel export. Also, I could able to export the values to Excel. All I see is a blank value when exported, there is no character there. However, when I copy the blank value from excel and try to paste it in the filter in Qlik Nprinting, it doesn't work. It doesn't paste any thing into the filter due to which save button was not enabled to proceed with saving.

Thanks,
Obulreddy

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Ok, since you are able to select it in QlikView it is not a Null() anymore. It is just empty string. such string can be created by putting "nothig" as '' (two single quotes with no character in between).

In NPrinting you need to choose the field you want this value to apply on and then under VALUES choose option "Evaluate value" and on the right hand side type ='' (being equal sign and two single quotes)

I just tested it and it worked

Obulreddy1
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Lech,

Glad that your solution worked for me. Thank you so much!

Thanks,

Obulreddy