Can we apply same filter as object filter and as report filter

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Qlik NPrinting Filters are designed to be reused multiple times, so you can apply the same filter to different entities. For example you can create a filter for country=USA and apply it to many users, or many reports, etc. Of course any change on that filter will influence all entities where you applied it. That can be good because you will have a single maintenance point but you must be aware if there are unwanted consequences. This also helps in reducing the total number of filters in your reporting system.

When you apply filters you must pay attention to avoid to generate conflicts that results in empty data sets. Applying the same filter, or different filters with some fields in common could cause issues. So, if your question means: "Can I apply the same filter as report filter and in an object on the same report?" my suggestion it to avoid this also if there is nothing automatic that will stop you. Instead if your question means: "Can I apply the same filter on a report and on an object in a different report template?" the answer is yes.

Next time you post a question in the community, please, invest a bit of time in adding similar details and a meaningful subject to let use to clearly understand your question from the beginning. Thanks.

For more details about filters refer to https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/ReportsDevelopment/Static-dynamic-fi...

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Lucas_Gatling
Support
Support

The answer to that is yes, however, I would not recommend it. Here is a good KB article on Filters:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Knowledge/Qlik-NPrinting-Filter-Rules-and-Limitations/ta-p/1713530

If the issue is solved please mark the answer with Accept as Solution.
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Qlik NPrinting Filters are designed to be reused multiple times, so you can apply the same filter to different entities. For example you can create a filter for country=USA and apply it to many users, or many reports, etc. Of course any change on that filter will influence all entities where you applied it. That can be good because you will have a single maintenance point but you must be aware if there are unwanted consequences. This also helps in reducing the total number of filters in your reporting system.

When you apply filters you must pay attention to avoid to generate conflicts that results in empty data sets. Applying the same filter, or different filters with some fields in common could cause issues. So, if your question means: "Can I apply the same filter as report filter and in an object on the same report?" my suggestion it to avoid this also if there is nothing automatic that will stop you. Instead if your question means: "Can I apply the same filter on a report and on an object in a different report template?" the answer is yes.

Next time you post a question in the community, please, invest a bit of time in adding similar details and a meaningful subject to let use to clearly understand your question from the beginning. Thanks.

For more details about filters refer to https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/ReportsDevelopment/Static-dynamic-fi...

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.