Announcements
Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alternative for Multiple Connections, Multiple PPT Reports, Multiple Tasks in .nsq

Hi Team,

I have 1 qvw per Country eg, For 3 Countries, Sales_SPAIN.qvw, Sales_INDIA.qvw, Sales_KENYA.qvw are the 3 qvws. Countrywise Data is huge and hence I do not do Section Access or Loop or Reduce but instead have 3 separate qvw files.

Now, I have created a NPrinting file Sales.nsq in which I have to define 3 separate Connections, 3 separate PowerPoint Reports, 3 separate Tasks. There is only 1 Template .pptx and is shared by all 3 PowerPoint Reports.

Whenever, I have a new Country qvw added like Sales_RUSSIA.qvw then I need to do work in Sales.nsq wherein I need to add 1 New Connection, 1 Powerpoint Report, 1 Task for every new Country. Is there no Alternative available in NPrinting such that it will need minimal changes in .nsq since making changes for every new Country is a Maintenance overhead.

(Please note that for qvw, I have Sales_Template.qvw which I simply Copy and Rename for every new Country and then I Reload the Data and we are ready with Sales_New Country.qvw without doing any work in .qvw and thus needs no Maintenance)

Thanks.

Kuldeep.

4 Replies
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

It is correct:

- you need to create a connection for each .qvw (so for each country).

- generate the connection cache

- then it is not mandatory to create a PowerPoint report for each country. Qlik NPrinting 16 supports MultiDoc reports so you can create a single template that uses data from many different connections. Be aware that if you use MultiDoc all QlikView documents used in the report are opened at the same time by QlikView Desktop. So be sure to have enough resources.

As alternative you could create a single .qvw only for reporting. Insert in it only data that are necessary to create the reports and avoid to upload all unnecessary data. This will keep the .qvw lighter as possible. Also add only the charts that are necessary for reporting and save the document with all charts minimized. The hardware resources of the Qlik NPrinting 16 Server computer must be enough to manage this document in QlikView Desktop.

Another alternative is to move to a server infrastructure. So use QlikView Server in a computer and a Qlik NPrinting 17 Server in a different machine. Qlik NPrinting 17 is multitrhead and multi engine so it is suggested for heavy workload environments.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

---------------------------------------------

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Ruggero,

Thanks for the reply.

"Qlik NPrinting 16 supports MultiDoc reports so you can create a single template that uses data from many different connections" Yes indeed, I can have only 1 Report and use all the 3 Country Connections and then place Chart eg CH337 from Sales_SPAIN.qvw,  CH337 from Sales_INDIA.qvw, CH337 from Sales_KENYA.qvw in the Template .pptx. Thus, we will have 3 Slides in the .pptx Template

But, HOW will I be able to show only 1 Slide when being called from Sales_Spain.qvw? Country field is common in all 3 qvws but have Mutually Exclusive Data and hence Linked Fields also does not seem to be of Utility to me. Not SUre if I could use the CONDITION oo FILTER here?

I understand that it makes sense to have only 1 qvw Sales and then populate it with Data that is necessary. But, like I said, I have Huge Data(1GB) for every Country and then it has multiple Charts based on User Requirement and having multiple qvws is the only solution that I think will suffice my case.

Thanks.

Kuldeep.

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

If the amount of data is huge for each country using MultiDoc means that Qlik NPrinting opens all you .qvw at the same time to create the reports. So the computer must be able to manage them. You must evaluate if it is possible in your scenario.

It is my idea to reduce the number of templates you need, and to insert all data in a single .ppt.

If you decide to create a MultiDoc template you have to add the same object one time for each connection and drag and drop it into the template. When you add a new country you need to repeat the process. In this case you get a single ppt with all data. It is the only optimization you can do because there are no way to avoid to create a connection for each .qvw and manually add the charts.

The second idea is to create a single .qvw for reporting. If you need all data that now you have for each country to create reports of course this solution is not feasible. I don't know your specific scenario but many times not all details are necessary so you could aggregate data for reporting or you can filter them by year or delete some columns etc to reduce the amount and create a single .qvw only for reporting. You have to evaluate, but if by filtering and deleting columns you are able to create a single .qvw only for reporting you will avoid manual updates.

It seems also that you are managing big documents in an environment without a server. With such bug data I suggested to move to a QlikView Server + Qlik NPrinting 17 installation with adequate hardware resources to be able to manage the big .qvw you need. 

If you cannot follow my previous suggestions the solution you implemented is correct and is the only one possible solution to manage big .qvw with the cons that you need to do a lot of manual work.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the suggestions Ruggero. Creating a MultiDoc will Open all the Heavy qvws together and might give a Performance Issue. Also, since I am not able to suppress the other Countries Slides the MultiDoc does not seem to suit our specific requirement.

Also, thanks for telling that 'We cannot avoid creating Manual connections and dragging and dropping Objects for every new Connection onto every new Report'. I also thought so but wanted to have Other's thoughts around the same.

Have Marked the ANswers as Helpful as well.

Thanks.

Kuldeep.